Decent little string trimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
I'm looking for a replacement for my 12 yr old Homelite ....

Is this Husqvarna trimmer a good unit ??
I don't need/want anything fancy.

https://www.lowes.ca/string-trimmers-bru...r_g2644743.html

Thanks in advance.
55.gif

Bob

I don't see a particular trimmer listed...it just has a few listed. With that being said, I know the Husqvarna 128LD is on sale for $199. I highly recommend it. I use one commercially. It's on year two, but holding up well. For a $200 trimmer, IMO it can't be beat. For the homeowner it should last a long time if you take care of it. I only use 91 ethanol free gasoline mixed with either Stihl Ultra HP, Husqvarna/Jonsered, or Echo oil. Good luck!

The Husqvarna 128LD that Lowes sells does not accept Husqvarna attachments. It's a special model just for Lowes that only accepts their generic attachments.

Spend the extra $20 and get the 128LDX from a Husqvarna dealer.

It's worth having the ability to pick up attachments, should you need them in the future. I was grateful to get the pole saw after an ice storm.

The Husqvarna you picked looks like a poor-quality Lowes special.

Out of the three you picked, I'd get the Stihl.

I have an echo, never had luck with spools, cutting 8" strings is much easier for me, would not go back.

I just bought a new Stihl FS 40 C-E on sale for $139... regularly $159. Only used it once so far but really like it. Lightweight with curved shaft. It replaced my FS 36 that served me well for 19 years.

Last edited:
I purchased the straight shaft 28CC 2 cycle Husqvarna from HD a few weeks ago. It's not bad. You would have to spend a lot more to get a little better I think. A bit underpowered. I have acres but only trim selectively (around my hives or when the grass gets too out of hand around the apple trees).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I'm looking for a replacement for my 12 yr old Homelite

Those old Homelites last. I have a hand me down from my parents that must be 20+ years old.

Better still ... let me ask:

Which string trimmer would you choose for light jobs around the house (not big jobs, not commercial) -

A) Husqvarna (Lowe's item 710659)
B) Stihl FS-38
C) Echo GT 225

Thanks, guys & gals.

Bob

I would shy away from entry level Husqvarna power tools. It's been over 10 years since Husqvarna contracted out manufacturing of their low end power tools to AYP (American Yard Products). So if you buy the Husqvarna, you are pretty much getting the same machine as a Craftsman, Poulan, Ryobi, or Weed Eater.

Stihl and Echo build all their own products. I prefer Stihl, and believe the Stihl is a better product. For the money Stihl tends to have more power than an Echo, and this is true between these two competitors, as the Echo has a smaller engine. Consumer Reports rated the Stihl FS-38 #1, rating it also as a Best Buy. The Echo GT-225 is rated #6. In the long run you would probably be happy with either.

So my recommendation would be:

First choice: Stihl FS-38
Second choice: Echo GT-225
Distant third choice: Husqvarna It's just not in the same league as the other two. I know I may get flamed by die hard Husky fans for saying so. But it really is true.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Go electric.

[off-topic]
can you elaborate on that?
thank you
OP/Papa Bear, sorry about interruption. congrats on trying to go quality/long time view
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Distant third choice: Husqvarna

Thanks to all who offered advice. It is appreciated as always.
thumbsup2.gif

Mama Bear and I are going to the local dealer and scooping up an FS-38 this afternoon.

Have a great Memorial Day there in the USA !

Bob

I think you'll be happy with the FS-38.
I have a FS-46 that I've had since 2001 or 2002.
It gets about 30 minutes of run time every week and still running great. Only thing I've done to it was rebuilt the carburetor a few years ago and replaced the old black fuel line with an upgraded green fuel line from my dealer (they were having problems with ethanol gas degrading the black rubber lines, so they came out with a green fuel line made of improved material)

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Distant third choice: Husqvarna

Thanks to all who offered advice. It is appreciated as always.
thumbsup2.gif

Mama Bear and I are going to the local dealer and scooping up an FS-38 this afternoon.

Have a great Memorial Day there in the USA !

Bob

Good choice. If your local Stihl dealership is as good as the ones I have dealt with, you will be very pleased with the entire purchase experience. They will train you how to start the trimmer, and do a first start with you. This is part of the requirements to be a Stihl dealership.

One note of caution. Do Not use gas with ethanol in it. Do a search and find a local source for ethanol free gas. If you can't find ethanol free gas, use pre-mix until you can. This will be the best decision you make in caring for your 2 cycle power tools. When you are still using the same string trimmer 10 or 15 years from now, and it is still running like a champ, you will know you made the right decision in avoiding gas with ethanol.

IMO, they're a step above the MTD and lower end Husqvarna Group trimmers. My Lowes purchased Husqvarna 125L was purchased around 2007. It's a larger, straight shaft string trimmer though. It starts on the first or second pull and really runs like a top since I dialed in the carburetor with an adjustment tool I bought off eBay right after I got this trimmer. It will low idle all day long, has snappy throttle response and great power (after the carb dial-in).

One thing I would personally recommend is, make sure the unit you choose actually has a clutch. Most cheapies are direct drive, which is kind of a pain for gas units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back