Pirelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have Pirelli's gotten better? I switched from Pirelli Centuratos to Michelin after many years of use. They were very good wet or dry. I went through SCCA drivers school on then and used them for rain tires on the track. I noticed they were not being made in Italy. I stopped using them on my regular cars due to frequent flats and balancing problems. I went to Michelins, no problems, no flats, long tread life, but iffy traction.

Most of Pirelli's tires aren't made in Italy, just like most Michelins aren't made in France. Even Pirelli's F1 tires are made in Turkey.

Pirelli was recently bought out by a Chinese company. They make tires in China, Mexico, Romania, Turkey, and many other countries.

Free flat repair at Discount Tire. Recent reviews of them have been good. For a few years recently they did seem to have some issues. Maybe they decided to rest on their laurels and cut some corners because of their brand name following. It caught up with them and now they're back to making quality tires. Their competition is too good to ignore.

Put Pirelli Scorpion Verde' on my wife's Flex 2 year ago, very smooth and quiet, seems to wear well so far. Got them at Costco, after 6 months I told them how much I liked them - never done that before!

Most of the tires i've bought in the last 10 years have been Pirelli's. all of them have been made in Brazil.
have had nothing but good experiences with them.

that being said, when it was time to replace the P6's on my sable a couple months back, I went with Cooper CS5 Ultras.

I was all set to put another set of P6's on, then they sold out (60% stake) to a Chinese State owned/operated Chemical company.

I have the new P7 all season plus on two cars, P7 summer and P zero on two others. I don't like Michelin tires and don't use them. I tried them multiple times and am not impressed with them.
The Pirelli are awesome tires, great traction, smooth as glass at all speeds, nice ride and outlast the Michelin by a wide margin.

The fact they are now owned by a Chinese company doesn't matter to me at all, its not the same as companies shutting their plants and having their product made in China by Chinese companies on the cheap then importing them and selling them here.
From what I read they kept the same plants open and running as usual. Cooper was ready to do the same thing with a Indian company until the deal fell through.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have the new P7 all season plus on two cars, P7 summer and P zero on two others. I don't like Michelin tires and don't use them. I tried them multiple times and am not impressed with them.
The Pirelli are awesome tires, great traction, smooth as glass at all speeds, nice ride and outlast the Michelin by a wide margin.

The fact they are now owned by a Chinese company doesn't matter to me at all, its not the same as companies shutting their plants and having their product made in China by Chinese companies on the cheap then importing them and selling them here.
From what I read they kept the same plants open and running as usual. Cooper was ready to do the same thing with a Indian company until the deal fell through.
+1

I really couldn't have said it any better.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most of Pirelli's tires aren't made in Italy, just like most Michelins aren't made in France. Even Pirelli's F1 tires are made in Turkey.

Pirelli was recently bought out by a Chinese company. They make tires in China, Mexico, Romania, Turkey, and many other countries.

Get outta here. What isn't chinese owned these days?! Rhetorical question. They take these 'good' companies and turn them to s**t.

The last 2 sets of pirellis on my cars were rather disappointing. As was the last set of Pirelli Diablos on my bike. I'll be staying away for a while.

My two cents. I have Pirelli P7 A/S+ tires on three of my vehicles but I will not be buying any more. Their customer service is horrendous. If you buy Pirelli tires just disregard the warranty and know that you are taking a risk.

Long story short, I had an out of round from factory with less than 400 miles on it and it was nearly impossible to get warranty service. In the end, I had to agree to front the cost of a new tire because the dealer could never get a hold of Pirelli. The dealer went through two other defective tires before finally finding a good one. Three months later I am still an additional $280ish out of pocket to get a decent ride.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Just buy them from Discount Tire and you won't even have remotely an issue.

The dealership a customer chooses for the purchase of any product should not have any bearing on the warranty support that they receive after the fact.

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

The dealership a customer chooses for the purchase of any product should not have any bearing on the warranty support that they receive after the fact.

Agreed. That said, I think the point being made is that in many members personal experience, including me, buying from DT ensures excellent service after the sale. That includes but not limited to any tire warranty issues that may occur.

It shouldn't but a third party has no reason to help you out, deal with the company you bought them from.
If you bought those tires from a store they would have taken care of it much differently and it wouldn't cost you a extra dime.

BTW you statement about the Pirelli warranty being worthless is totally false. The tire place I bought mine from will replace a defect right away under warranty, no charge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

BTW you statement about the Pirelli warranty being worthless is totally false. The tire place I bought mine from will replace a defect right away under warranty, no charge.

Did you see the thread documenting the runaround from Pirelli and the tire dealers in the area? What a horror story. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._ho#Post4017260

Having been in one of those "Twilight Zone" customer service situations myself recently, it definitely leaves a bad taste when an issue gets blown off and the customer is left holding the bag for a company's errors.

No Chinese Pirelli junk for me thanks. I'll stick with top of the line Michelins, as they stay balanced and grippy until the 'cords' show.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
No Chinese Pirelli junk for me thanks. I'll stick with top of the line Michelins, as they stay balanced and grippy until the 'cords' show.
Not unless they dry rot in a couple years

I have some Brazilian Pirellis. Good grip and wear, but I had issues with them leaking around the beads. Rims were not messed up, it was the tires. Needed some bead sealer to get them to hold air.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Agreed. That said, I think the point being made is that in many members personal experience, including me, buying from DT ensures excellent service after the sale. That includes but not limited to any tire warranty issues that may occur.

IveBeenRued, I read your post about the problem you had with Pirelli tire(s) and I would act like you, i.e., stay away from it.

But I also agree with Nick1994 and Sayjac, if you bought your tires at DT then your problem with any defective tire will be solved quickly and efficiently. They would do whatever it was needed to make you happy.

That is one of the reasons I only bought tires from AT(it is named AT in So Cal, DT somewhere else) for about 10 years now.

Like IveBeenRued, I have also had a terrible time with Pirelli CinturatoP7 A/S Plus on my Jetta I purchased in late March 16. I can not get them balanced with a reasonable amount of weight. One standard balance and the shop sent me out with excessive weight.

Standard Balance

* Lt Rear 4.5 oz
* Rt Rear had 6.5 oz
* Lt Front 3 oz
* Rt Front 4 oz

These have now been road force balanced twice in the last week. This is the best we can get them and there is still a vibration at highway speeds. I have always heard that anything over 3 ounces is not a good sign.

Road Force results after 2 attempts:

* Lt Rear balanced with 3.75 oz
* Rt Rear balanced 2.25 oz
* Lt Front balanced 1.25 oz
* Rt Front balanced 3.75 oz

These are going to be replaced by Tire Rack with some Continentals. This my second bad experience with Pirelli. I doubt I will try again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back