So I did an oil change but didn't change the filte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny how the old-timers are recommending to leave it in, while the newer folks are having a collective freakout.

Leave it be. Especially a quality cartridge filter like a Fram Ultra will be fine.

I know my application is different and an older vehicle, but I've already changed my oil and left the Ultra on.

I don't see anything wrong with leaving it in.

There is a whole thread over in technical papers discussing the fact (proven) that oil builds up unique AW properties as it runs in. That is unique to that engine because of the way the engine is cooled, OP temp, local hot spots, etc. The bottom line on this professional paper is to leave 10% old oil in at change.

Shannow and I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do this is to leave the filter on past the change and let that amount of used oil circulate with the new stuff until it starts to build it's own reaction chemistry. Say we leave them on for two weeks and then change...

You are doing just that. You are getting best of heat cycled oil chemistry, somewhat better filtering as the media has used up the big pores and is now doing smaller stuff, and you'll be right on for a filter change when you get back
smile.gif

All good. Just slide in there and change it at your convenience
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Your 2 years engine has 40 of highway miles. It may be clean, so clogging the filter in 20K isn't probable. That if you regular in syn oil. Keep it going if you will.

+1 (other than the English, but then again I can't speak Portuguese
grin2.gif
).

Whimsey

Your 2 years engine has 40 of highway miles. It may be clean, so clogging the filter in 20K isn't probable. That if you regular in syn oil. Keep it going if you will.
What if the air filter or intake plumbing allows dirt to enter the engine?

I doubt that you will have any problems using the same oil filter. That filter will hold lots of "stuff". Highway miles are the easiest on any vehicle.

Originally Posted By: locomaster1969
I doubt that you will have any problems using the same oil filter. That filter will hold lots of "stuff". Highway miles are the easiest on any vehicle.

I always hear this...highway miles are the easiest on any vehicle. But isn't there some things to consider with highway mileage? Like engine vacuum - I've heard due to the throttle plates being close to closed, oil burning can take place due to the oil being pulled through the PCV. And if you're doing 80 miles a day on the highway - at a consistent speed - isn't your engine essentially idling at the same rpm's for long stretches of time without a lot of variation? I've read that's bad too. I understand engine temp is ideal...or that your cooling system isn't working hard, but that's the cooling system. And I understand that the suspension and brake system have it easy on the highway, but again, it's not the oil system. The crankshaft isn't varying speed for long stretches, that good? Yes the water will burn off and prevent sludge and acid, but wouldn't that happen with any sort of prolonged driving? I guess I don't understand how highway driving is easy on oil. I'm probably missing something.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I do 20K filter changes, but that's with 3 oil changes.

This will not harm the engine reusing oil filter.

Or you have not noticed any harm to your engine YET!!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I do 20K filter changes, but that's with 3 oil changes.

This will not harm the engine reusing oil filter.

Or you have not noticed any harm to your engine YET!!

What kind of harm would he notice?

Change the filter, and don't freak around with a car that is worth a lot of money. Been reading that filters get more efficient as they clog, but we have seen in the past that Honda and Toyota favored flow, so I don't think it matters.

Was helping a lady at Walmart about a month ago to find a filter for her 2014/2015 Camry four cylinder. Can't remember what I pulled off the shelf, but it was Fram something. Made in China cartridge filter. Thought it was funny because she asked me where it was made. She said she would go to the Toyota dealer and buy one like she did last time.

man, lots of great replies, and on a Sunday no less! Thank you very much to all who contributed. I had basically decided before I posted that I would change the filter when I get home and not lose any sleep. I'm going on another long trip in a couple weeks so I'll get it done before then. I doubt it would be an issue if I left it but I start getting slightly twitchy just knowing it's sitting there mocking me, unchanged and unashamed. lol

This is a great forum, thanks for everyones replies and feedback. Maybe if I used a better filter like a wix this wouldn't be a problem. *oh nooooo.....he went there* :p

Originally Posted By: CT8
What if the air filter or intake plumbing allows dirt to enter the engine?

In a 2014 plumbing? Hardly.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
man, lots of great replies, and on a Sunday no less! Thank you very much to all who contributed. I had basically decided before I posted that I would change the filter when I get home and not lose any sleep. I'm going on another long trip in a couple weeks so I'll get it done before then. I doubt it would be an issue if I left it but I start getting slightly twitchy just knowing it's sitting there mocking me, unchanged and unashamed. lol

This is a great forum, thanks for everyones replies and feedback. Maybe if I used a better filter like a wix this wouldn't be a problem. *oh nooooo.....he went there* :p

Do us a favor back, then: cut it open a post the pictures, including the media stretched in the bench. Would you? That's bitoger, man!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

+1 (other than the English, but then again I can't speak Portuguese
grin2.gif
).

Whimsey
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back