Told SiriusXM to Pound Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put plates on a used RAV4 last year, XM Sent me a free trial in the mail.

I think they are hooked into the DMV also.

Gave it a listen for 3 months for free.

First time my wife listened, she said, gee that sound quality is really bad. Tons of artifacts in the audio, sounds like very low bitrate.

Found the Radio DJ's to be annoying, very similar to FM radio. Also not commercial free, I heard commercials non stop. Also like a watch when going to work they would play the same song over and over again.

Did like some of the Canadian news radio, and some of the cable news channels.

I would pay about 50-75 dollars per year for this service, if it was offered with an online subscription that does not renew and I could control it without talking to a customer service rep trying to offer me deals.

I already argue enough with Time Warner and DirecTV, don't need another place to deal with.

25 dollars per month is silly in the age of mobile phones with lots of data.

My biggest gripe with it is the audio quality, which is abysmal compared to the music I play from my USB stick. Made me not want to use it at all.

Do people actually use Sirius for music these days? The pay streaming services are vastly superior. If you don't have a big data plan you can download channels. I see Sirius as strictly something for talk, news, and sports.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
My biggest gripe with it is the audio quality, which is abysmal compared to the music I play from my USB stick. Made me not want to use it at all.

You're right. There are a couple stations that have fairly decent quality, but the vast majority is significantly inferior than even FM, which is dismal enough.

Nonetheless, a few different music selections was nice, along with BBC and a few other choices. If I want to be listening to good quality sound, nope.

Overkill, did I ever tell you what I did to one of my employees a few years ago? She left her music USB stick for her car at work. I think she was loading it up or deleting something, and just forgot it. She was big into hip hop and so forth. Well, I downloaded Leonard Nimoy's Ballad of Bilbo Baggins and dumped it in the middle of her selections. It took her a while to figure out what the heck happened.

That sir, is awesome!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Tell me more about using a USB stick. I'm not too savy with this new fangled music stuff, I'm an analog and thermionic guy at heart.
grin.gif

I have a '14 RAM, so what works for your charger should work for me perfectly. I have all of my CD's in iTunes, Apple lossless format. I have an iPod Classic 120G that I ran continuously in the lab on shuffle. I'm not sure how much life it's got left. I'd love to be able to do the same with a USB stick in the truck. What file format and resolution do you use? Is special software needed, or just dump music files on the stick?

I enjoyed the XM radio enough to renew for a year. I was impressed with the sound initially on the classic rock stations but now think that they've cut back bandwidth on them. The sound is not as good as I remember the first 6 months or so I had the service. I live in the "Wild West" so am often out of cell service while traveling, so the streaming services are out. The satellite was a Godsend, except that it cuts out in the canyons and trees.

Ed

You just literally go into your iTunes media folder, copy the files that you want to a USB stick and the vehicle will play them. Has no problem with MP4's, which should be the format your music is in, and even if it is AAC, it should play those too.

As for me, the G37 has no USB connectivity, at least that I'm aware of (boy, that's pretty embarrassing). It does have iPod connectivity, but iPods, really? It does have a six CD changer and is MP3 compatible, and I do have a decent CD collection and can burn whatever I like.

The rare times I do download music, I still do it on IRC. That is where I nabbed the Bilbo Baggins file.
wink.gif

I had them for a while...took a long time to get them to cancel and stop bugging me.

Ever since, when I buy a new car, I decline to have it activated.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for me, the G37 has no USB connectivity, at least that I'm aware of (boy, that's pretty embarrassing). It does have iPod connectivity, but iPods, really? It does have a six CD changer and is MP3 compatible, and I do have a decent CD collection and can burn whatever I like.

The rare times I do download music, I still do it on IRC. That is where I nabbed the Bilbo Baggins file.
wink.gif

Yep, my Mercedes just has the Ipod also, no bluetooth for music, it's too old. I just got a 4th gen ipod touch. They're in the $40-$50 range on ebay/craigslist. I load spotify on it and just sync my music lists once in a while using the wifi on the ipod touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back