Car won't star after new serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AlaninPA
Excellent stuff guys! Saved me some trouble diagnosing he problem at a shop.

Looks like I'll be looking for an alternator soon.

Do you guys recommending getting a refurbished one or a new one? Also is this a job I can do myself?

I guess while I am in there, I might as well look into the AC issue. Freon is topped off but not AC blowing out.

I see no reason not to get a remanufactured one.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Reliability...Remans are not. It's best to find a local shop that specializes in rebuilding them and have them do it.

I bought a jeep from my work. The alt was seized. There's a huge nut in the pulley, a little over an inch. I put my breaker bar on it, broke it loose, it worked fine. Squeaked for a couple minutes but then got over itself. This would certainly be worth trying for you, too.

It would crank to start but I had to keep my foot on the gas to get it to idle. The belt was not happy sounding!

I'd throw a battery charger on, too.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: dparm

Reliability...Remans are not. It's best to find a local shop that specializes in rebuilding them and have them do it.

I've been through 4 alternators in the past 2 years on my Frontier. Remans from Autozone. Stay away from those... absolute junk.

Also is this a job I can do myself?

Is the alternator in an accessible area, or is it down on the bottom of the engine somewhere ?

If you decide to go ahead with it, make sure you disconnect the battery first before touching the alternator.

I think it's doable by myself.

Here is what I gathered from the MDX forum.
"
I just changed mine yesterday.
1) disconnect battery.
2)Remove intake manifold cover( plastic cover on top of engine, 4 bolts, 12mm)
3)remove ignition coil cover( plastic cover 2 plastic screws-flat head, 1 plastic push button)
3)Remove belt(you will need a 14mm, long handle wrench to get to the bolt on the pulley. push it clock wise to relieve tension.
4)Remove alternator harness clamp and bracket. Disconnect wires from alternator.
5)Remove the mounting bolt and alternator bracket mounting bolt.
6)Remove alternator. This is the part I had trouble with. I could not get the alternator out of the engine bay.
You will need to slide the coolant bootle out of its bracket and move to the side. Then gentley bend the power steering reservoir bracket back. then you have enough room to get it out.
You will see what I"m talking about when you get in there.
"

Do you guys recommending getting a refurbished one or a new one? Also is this a job I can do myself?

I cannot vouch for these instructions but found the following from a quick internet search. http://acurazine.com/forums/1g-2g-m...cing-alternator-need-directions-*****-834986/

As for new vs reman I base that on the price diff and how hard it is to change the alternator. If not too hard then I consider a reman if the price is right. I know not a huge sample size but I have had two remans I purchased from Advance and had one for just under three years before selling the vehicle with no problems and currently have one in a 2001 VW Beetle with a little over 3 years on it with no problems. Last alternator I bought though I got a new one as I found a smoking deal on it via Amazon so my advice is to shop around.

Excellent stuff guys! Saved me some trouble diagnosing he problem at a shop.

Looks like I'll be looking for an alternator soon.

I guess while I am in there, I might as well look into the AC issue. Freon is topped off but not AC blowing out.

If the alternator is truly the issue, I would only purchase a dealer alternator or a Denso reman alternator. The ones from your local auto parts store can have very spotty quality. You can get a reman Denso alternator from Rockauto for $110 plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back