Likely getting a Toyota RAV-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: CKN
It's not a 12 year old Crown Vic. Therefore it can't be any good. According to the consensus on BITOG.
smirk.gif

Put some Michelin tires on a 12 year old Crown Vic and you'd be GOLDEN!

eek.gif
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: CKN
It's not a 12 year old Crown Vic. Therefore it can't be any good. According to the consensus on BITOG.
smirk.gif

Put some Michelin tires on a 12 year old Crown Vic and you'd be GOLDEN!

I can't remember the last time I've seen a 2003-2004 CV around me. They've all gone to the great junkyard in the sky. A lot of mid-00's vehicles are starting to rust through around here. Man I love/hate road salt.

I was going to purchase a 2013 model, but the dash in the center sticks out too far making it hard to fit my legs properly (6-6 tall). Got a suby outback instead as the leg room is superior. But the Rav4 is an excellent vehicle.

How much are they asking for the Rav 4? I agree with most that this choice makes good sense and would be a fine replacement. Good luck!

I helped my mom shop for a new car a couple years ago and she bought a new 2013 Rav 4.

It's better in every way for her needs compared to her previous Jeep Liberty. The Rav 4 has lots of interior room and drives fine, from my experience.

I still wouldn't buy one for myself, but it's good for her.

One negative - the 2013 is the first year of the new one and it gets a "poor" in the small overlap IIHS test. Toyota did an update and fixed the problem for the 2015 model year.

Originally Posted By: jigen
How much are they asking for the Rav 4? I agree with most that this choice makes good sense and would be a fine replacement. Good luck!

IIRC it's $21k and change out the door. This is a "no haggle" dealer that prices fairly competitively with others in the area. I know we're not getting the absolute best deal. Whatever, it's a good enough price for a CPO AWD CUV in an area where AWD CUV's are a hot item, and given our quick timeline.

We picked it up today. We like it so far. Impressions after I've had a chance to put some seat time in.

Is your AWD system one which requires 4 identical (worn-to-the-same-degree) tires or the transfer case/bevel gear will burn up? If so remember to rotate your tires (but you know that).

Best o' luck with your new car. Kira

ps I read the entire thread as my SIL has a 2005 (pretty sure) RAV-4. It was a leftover and has a 4 when the current year had only V-6's. I think '06 and '07's were only V-6's then Toyota brought 4's back.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
We picked it up today. We like it so far. Impressions after I've had a chance to put some seat time in.

Nice!

A family member recently bought a CPO RAV4, same year, same model I believe. He loves it. I haven't driven or ridden in it yet, but was impressed at the fit/finish and feel from the interior.

I don't know that I've ever heard a RAV4 owner complain about their vehicle.

After a week with the car, my wife really likes it. She likes how it rides, likes the backup camera, and likes all the bells and whistles it has. It's definitely no Fit in the handling department. The RAV4 no slouch, either. Body roll is controlled, it turns in pretty quickly, and the ride is taut. It does get a little unsettled over railroad tracks, which I sort of expected. There is a little wind noise at highway speeds. Seats are comfy for the short trips I've been in it. This has the makings of a good road-trip vehicle. Fuel economy in 90% urban driving is an indicated 19 mpg. Our Fit got an indicated 24 mpg in the same driving. This is also a bit more powerful and a bit faster. Speeding is easy since it does not "feel" like it's that quick except when looking down at the speedometer. And it still fits into our garage.

In short, a good choice for a replacement.

Quote:
I think '06 and '07's were only V-6's then Toyota brought 4's back.

2006-2012 models were available with the 3.5l V-6. 06-08 also offered the 2.4l four cylinder that proved to be an oil guzzler. 2009 models forward have the 2.5l four cylinder that has no oil consumption problems.

Sounds good! These vehicles are pretty painless to own for the most part. I'd still like a 2 spd transfer case, and real 4wd at times but 99% of the time these fwd SUVs are fine.
If you do go with AT tires it does change the feel back to the traditional SUV a bit, little more noise, slightly more vague steering, a bit less mileage, but its not excessive IMO. I went from 27" tire to a 28" as well so that makes a bit of a difference too.

I'm trying to convince the wife to ditch the (so far pretty decent on-road) Hankooks on it for a more AT-oriented tire. She will need some all-weather capability, and having a jack of all trades tire would be nice. Although a decent set of mid-priced snows would provide that capability during the times of year that she would really need it.

I used to live in Northern VT, so similar. There is just nothing like dedicated snows.

Get some cheap-ish take-off alloys in the same size, and Yokohama snows in the OE size. Run them Halloween until Easter. Unless she drives very high miles, that should also serve as a rotation interval, so you are actually NOT changing tires any more often (and mark them when they come off to be rotated the next installation).

The alloys will keep you from "hating" on the look vs. steels, and not be any more off Craigslist or similar vs. new steels. Yokos are my fave snow after a lot of popular brands. Good price, awesome performance.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'm trying to convince the wife to ditch the (so far pretty decent on-road) Hankooks on it for a more AT-oriented tire. She will need some all-weather capability, and having a jack of all trades tire would be nice. Although a decent set of mid-priced snows would provide that capability during the times of year that she would really need it.

My wife drives the CRV and all she cared about was not having white letter sidewalls... She's not worried about noise and got around fine on 7 year old Xice down to 4/32 this winter, except she found them a bit scary braking in slush as the ABS kept the front tires rolling while not getting the rears involved.
Maybe the newest AT snowflake tires might be a bit better on ice, but according to consumer reports. who do the same ice braking test for all all season and snow tires, the very best AT all weather only rate as well as the best AT or all season tires, with a good rating.
I think my wife will be fine with the AT AW tires in the winter, as slush is more common than ice here and they will do well with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back