Why is Mobil Delvac 1 so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

So, I reckon this is the current formulation-
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3992209/1

No moly. I thought it would be a little more similar to Mobil 1 ESP 5W30, but what do I know? Not much.

Thoughts on this please, or show me to some explanation of why some formulas have moly and others don't.

I guess the main question is which oil would be better for hot weather towing a trailer with my RAM EcoD?
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W30
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/8945-8945/
http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/17447-mobil-delvac-1-le-5w-30-svezhee/
These are two oil analysis from Russian oil website. If you google oil club ru-that site is really good. Has a lot of oil analysis often with noack included in them.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

The Noack of the Delvac 1 5w-30 is wholly uninspiring. I have been wanting to switch a vehicle to the 5w-40 but am suspicious about how secretive XOM is about revealing Noack values. I do appreciate the HTHS reporting they give, though.

I will go through there and try to find a Delvac 5w-40 VOA.

sorry ! me i only bother with oil that pass sn and cj-4 and acea e7 e9 etc

(mobil delvac le 5w-30) the rest are nice but they arent on the level this oil is

Originally Posted By: pb379
Any thoughts on why Mobil Delvac 1 is so much more expensive than Rotella T6 and Chevron DELO LE ?

Is it better?

Thanks

They have been consulting Redline Oils for guidance.
19.gif

Last edited:
I bought five gallons at Meijer when I saw the rebate program Mobil was offering, normally it is $25.99 a gallon, with rebate $13.99. Couldn't beat the price, and it's Cummins 200081 approved unlike the Mobil 1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
sorry ! me i only bother with oil that pass sn and cj-4 and acea e7 e9 etc

(mobil delvac le 5w-30) the rest are nice but they arent on the level this oil is

I'm not so sure this oil (Delvac LE 5w30) is any better than Delo 400 LE 5w30 and the nearly $60 price increase over the Delo. Delo also meets all those cj4, Acea e9, e7 etc... I've debated whether to switch over to Delvac. For the extra cost, limited availability to non-commercial users, higher NOACK over the Delo , I just don't see the real benefit over Delo.

Although I'm sure it's a great product, it's just hard to justify extra costs for the Delvac. Just my opinion. It's nice to go on Amazon, order 4 gallons of Delo 400 LE 5w30 for $120 and have it at my front door in a couple days. I know Delvac's 15w40 grades and Elite 10w30 is much more reasonable in pricing. But the Delvac LE 5w30 is outrageously priced.

Last edited:
Are there any differences between these two? Has the formulation changed or is it simply new packaging? The one on the left is an older single gallon I got from NAPA and the one on the right is from a box of four I got from a different NAPA that came from the warehouse.
IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

It's just jug changes as far as I know. We got updates on the labels up here, too.

Powerstroke: Up here, Delvac 1 LE is cheaper than almost anything in the Delo lineup, aside from the conventional.

Thanks Garak. I very much appreciate your answers to my questions.

No problem. We even get at least one more recent relabelling than you guys did. The Canadian labels were made similar to U.S. ones. Plus, we don't have the new style bottles yet.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm actually surprised that the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 wasn't using a magnesium additive package.

My VOA on it shows 762ppm Mg, 1980ppm Ca. It might be formulated differently, I imported it from the UK before it was sold in NA.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
search for a list of all the oil that have a big pedigree as mobil delvac 1 le5w-30 then you ll understand why it is expensive. that certification isnt for show . it means manufacturer of big rig and cars agree that it pass muster . and those certification cost money . any time they ask to be certified by say detroit diesel,gm ,Toyota sn orand cj-4 and the futur it cost them money to get this but it is their customer garanty that said oil isnt a lie . why you thing tes-295 exist .because a lot of oil are just lie. tes- 295 an number ensure that if allison say you yellow metal wont rust .their word is garantied by their an number they give to the manufacturer that jumped all the oops required.valvoline new version at walmart also supposedly went to all the testing mobile delvac le5w-30 went but since it isnt officially vetted by cummins and cummins is their natural ally , i suspect valvoline is just posturing!

It still doesn't add up, Rotella T6, Delo LE and Valvoline Premium Blue all meet those same specs and are much better priced. I don't see any advantage Delvac 1 has over those, which is why I use T6 in my diesel. Does just as good of a job for half the price!

I just noticed the price on Mobil Delvac 1 5w30 in the 1 gallon jug at the Truck Stop while I was getting a pm service done on my Semi Truck; it is pretty pricey, at least for my wallet.

I'd like to try either the Rotella-T6 or Chevron Delo 400 synthetic 5w40 in my Detroit during the coldest months of Winter, but I've used nothing but Delvac Super and Delvac Elite, and had really good results with both. My concern is switching brands may result in additive clash.

Is additive clash a real concern or an old wives tale?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
It still doesn't add up, Rotella T6, Delo LE and Valvoline Premium Blue all meet those same specs and are much better priced. I don't see any advantage Delvac 1 has over those, which is why I use T6 in my diesel. Does just as good of a job for half the price!

In this province, for whatever reason, Delvac 1, in its three current iterations, is significantly cheaper than all the competition, when purchased from the distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back