Chevrolet TV commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most "compelling" commercials I've seen are a couple made by Chrysler for their 200 and 300 series.

They really make you feel that they are worth considering. But then certain guys who bit the bullet complain about it, and then you lookup what Chrysler quality is/was.

Most of them don't do anything beyond the 30 seconds or whatever they show on the TV, except the recent GMC ones with Eminence Front.
I actually bought a The Who album for cheap just so I can listen to it. The song has had bigger impact than whatever message, because underneath, I'm sure that "precision" might be sacrificed for cost given GM's history. I cannot afford the SUVs given my current state, but just because I like the song doesn't mean when I can afford it, I'm going to not test drive similar vehicles in its class. No impulse buys for me.

Worst so far is that Honda Civic commercial with Walking On a Dream. Uuggh. So annoying to hear it again and again. Not to mention that I don't like Hondas.

These Chevy commercials just make me auto tune out. The skepticism just rises up fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Schmoe
On facebook, Chevy has been bombarding it with ads that say something like "Ford owners will be shocked and mad because just how extreme the new Chevy trucks are." yeah, right....Government Motors.

I think first rule of advertising is never mention your competitor. Otherwise you are paying for their advertising.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
OK guys, who else find those Chevrolet commercials ridiculous?
Real people not actors?
It looks like Audi? No it looks like BMW? It is better then my Audi. No it does not look like Audi, BMW and no, definitely is not better then Audi.

Its a commercial, what do you expect?

However, I'd agree with them that its better than an Audi in at least some ways. Pretty much anything is going to be less complex and more reliable than the lower tier of German cars like VW/Audi, even if they do achieve a few of the aspects of higher-tier German cars.

What is going to be reliable?
I drive only European cars and only had once Mazda, and that car left me stranded on the road.
So, would like to know how Malibu would be reliable then let's say Tiguan I have?
Complex? Like my friend mechanic said: when someone comes to me with GM product, unless it is oil change, brakes or suspension, I just tell them to find someone else. For one hour of work on VW, BMW, MB, you need four on GM.
It is good that they are trying to get their product better etc. but seriously? If there was no rent a car compnies they could kill all products except trucks, and some cars.

There are always exceptions, but on the average NOTHING other than an exotic is more needlessly complex than VW/Audi products, and very few that are simpler than GM. I don't think anyone who's turned wrenches on multiple brands is going to seriously disagree. Just look at the VR-6. Or the cooling system plumbing on things as innocuous as older Jettas. GM has done a few ridiculous things too- like the Northstar engine with a starter under the intake manifold- but the majority of current products are just the opposite. The LSx and Ecotec engines are very streamlined, simple, reliable, and easy to service with minimal extraneous external plumbing and fittings and gew-gaws. I can see someone unfamiliar with GM and very familiar with Audi having to take more time with his/her first GM, but again- almost any mechanic out there will tell you that there's a reason the nickname is "Generic Motors." They're very simple and easy to service, and for the most part quite reliable.

Thank Germans on Ecotec (Opel).
Ecotec family was available in Europe in 1990's. I had Opel Vectra B 2.0 16V. They were OK engines, but they used too many cheap parts (like generally American manufacturers). GM pushed Opel over the cliff (as well as SAAB) because of their approach to engineering, where engineers are told what to do by accountants and marketing people.
As reliability oh well, considering number of VR6 VW's, percentage wise, more of them is on the road today then comparable Chevrolet.
There is a reason why GM and Chrysler went bankrupt, and that is not because they were reliable.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
What I don't get are those ads which portray a brand's owners as complete and total dimwits- such as the execrable "Camry Family" spot of a few years ago or the Camry SE ad with the moron girl telling us that the car feels "grounded to the ground." And it's not just Toyota. The Ford "Press Conference" ads where nitwit owners took questions and gave idiotic answers was also pretty bad.

Somehow I don't think that the subliminal message of "Our owners are brain dead- why not join them?" is a winning long-term strategy.

I want a car that's like totally grounded to phone, LOLLOLLOLOMG

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
On facebook, Chevy has been bombarding it with ads that say something like "Ford owners will be shocked and mad because just how extreme the new Chevy trucks are." yeah, right....Government Motors.

I think first rule of advertising is never mention your competitor. Otherwise you are paying for their advertising.

I saw that on Facebook. I hope someone in GM is reading comments, because they are really insulting.

Note to self: this is one more reason why I have better things to do than sit around watching commercials on the idiot box or reading advertising on facebook.

The fact is that even if you DON'T watch these vapid and condescending tv ad spots it shows that Chevy and GM think their target audience are idiots, plain and simple.

Whomever approved these ads should be fired IMMEDIATELY.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I saw that on Facebook. I hope someone in GM is reading comments, because they are really insulting.

One in a while I saw some ads on TV wile watching evening news, the ads from BMW, MB, Audi, Toyota, Honda ... never compare/mention competitor(s). But the ads of some lower tiers did comparing their vehicles with competitors, and actually named competitors. This is a big no in advertising.

I also thought that Chevrolet was scraping the bottom of the advertising barrel with their idiotic "Hipster and the village imbeciles" campaign, but it's clear that Lincoln has taken moronic advertising down to a whole new level with the latest Matthew McConaughey spots. So driving a new Lincoln is like getting a shave? Or falling into a swimming pool? I'll pass, thanks.

Why are all the cars in the commercials always drifting?
The Honda suvs drifting in reverse. All Lexus seem to ride in the middle of the desert sideways.

Nissan has to be the worst everyone of those Nissans is sliding out of control.
I think I'd like a car that can go down the road without being in a oversteer power slide.

Yeah, Nissan has gotten pretty ridiculous with all the swerving and sliding Altimas and Rogues.

They used to make ads that didn't have cars swerving all over the place...

Today I saw the first accurate Audi ad: It was actually a Progressive ad with Flo having to hold an umbrella over the open sunroof of an Audi parked in the rain.

Ford had even dumber testimonial ads a couple of years ago.

Honestly. A testimonial is the best they can do? This wouldn't be happening if Don Draper hadn't quit the business.

I particularly enjoy the ads that show a car trundling down the road at 30 mph in a straight line in the 'burbs with the disclaimer "closed course. Professional Driver."

Last edited:
The Chevy commercials really turn my stomach. "How do you feel about the car and you can only answer in emoticons"

"It's a wifi hotspot."

I can't believe these are the same wusses that make the Corvette.

At this point the once comedic ideas for auto advertising in the movie "Crazy People" would be welcome.

Boxy-but-good.jpg

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
At this point the once comedic ideas for auto advertising in the movie "Crazy People" would be welcome.

Boxy-but-good.jpg

That was one of the most hilarious movies ever made.

The best one was the fat people calling for the free plant.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Boxy-but-good.jpg

That was one of the most hilarious movies ever made.

The best one was the fat people calling for the free plant.
crackmeup2.gif

And the hilarious Sony commerical "Sony...because Caucasians are just too d@mn tall"

That Cruz commercial and emojis or whatever the name is is just insult ton intelligence.
It has wi-fi? yeah, let's browse Facebook and Instagram on HWY, because what could go wrong?

Last edited:
That Cruz commercial and emojis or whatever the name is is just insult ton intelligence.
It has wi-fi? yeah, let's browse Facebook and Instagram on HWY, because what could go wrong?

Well if you have kids...it is the best thing ever. They use it the driver does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back