Minor fixes that made a big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dodge Neon that i have been driving to work for the past 13 years. It has 287k miles on it now and, contrary to what our resident BITOG antichrystlers would have you believe, this car has been perfect. The only unscheduled item that it has needed was a cam sensor.

About a year ago the A/C began to get weaker as in low airflow out of the vents and eventualy the evap would freeze and there would be no flow. The car had about 270k miles on it at the time so i figured the evap must be getting covered with dust and dirt. I tried to take a look at the evap by pulling the blower and looking up there with a mirror but no luck. While looking up there i happened to see an access cover on the evap box. To get to it you drop the glove box and there it is, popped the cover off and sure enough that evap was covered with dust accumulated over the years. All it took was a nylon chip brush, the kind that looks like a toothbrush with a wooden handle, 15 minutes of carefully brushing the dust off and the AC is great again!

The only tool actually needed for this was the chip brush and 30 minutes latter a minor fix made a big difference!

Last edited:
Shocks! I've been running the stock shocks on my Frontier. They had 101,000 miles on them. They still felt OK to me. Didn't "float" when hitting bumps and no oil leaks, but I knew it was time to replace them just based on age (100,000 miles and 6 years old).

What a difference new shocks made! They wear out so gradual, that you don't really notice it. New ones make the truck drive like it did when it was brand new.

I pulled off my throttle body and intake manifold last year to clean it. After a thorough cleaning and cleaning the inlet holes to the valves I noticed a smoother idle and an all around better running engine.

It took maybe an hour and that minor "fix" made all the difference. After 170k miles it was rather gooey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back