Any machinists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be aware that a machinist and a machine operator are two different jobs. Both are in demand but one requires a great deal of skill and practice in the craft but is being replaced by the other. Guess which one pays better.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Just be aware that a machinist and a machine operator are two different jobs. Both are in demand but one requires a great deal of skill and practice in the craft but is being replaced by the other. Guess which one pays better.

Just wondering what your company pays for both positions ???

My current job has one guy that does basic manual machine work, I don't know what he gets paid. Previous jobs have had machine operators doing entry/basic level work setting up and running VMCs for $10-12/ hr.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Hey guys just wanted to know if there were any machinists here?

I'm slowly beginning to think that I will take the machinists program at my community college and just wanted to know some pros and cons of the trade from those that are there. Thanks.

Well, I am a machine operator, my dad was a Machinist, until last year, when the production plant moved to Mexico.... He was making like $25 an hour in a rural area. He is ten years from retirement, however so not willing to move to another part of the country, so now he is cleaning molds for 75% of the previous pay(starting)

Here is the deal. Make sure the program has been established for a long time. I HIGHLY recommenced Ranken.

http://ranken.edu/degrees-programs/manufacturing-division/precision-machining-technology/

My dad was trained in UAW Skilled Trades, and held a Tool and Die job for 30+ years. When a new machining center was purchased, like Makino Blank, they will send you to the companies training campus.

...and the math is not that hard, when you use math all the time, you just need solid trigonometry. The demand for machinist-Tool and Die is high, especially the ones who can work with CAD.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. You have been a great help in my research so far and it is greatly appreciated!

I have a cousin who got the AA degree in machine tool technology and started out at 16.50hr for his first job at a plant running a machine. Five years later he was making just a hair shy of $26 an hour and he took another job offer for $3 less an hour because he said that he was one of about 7 or 8 people that had degrees in the field and that they were getting worked almost 20+ hours more than folks who had less than the degree in school. I'm not afraid of working long hours for good money, I'm just afraid off lay offs. Which I keep reading left and right is one of the biggest concerns about becoming a machinist

In some blue collar industries there are layoffs due to a slow down in work, contracts not being renewed, subcontractors doing it for less money, the economy slows down / recession...etc...

Boeing announced 8000 layoffs earlier this year, with more to be announced later this year. Production rises and falls, they just trim jobs. How many of that 8000 were machinists ? If you have little seniority you are out the door.

Co-Ops and internships are a good way to get experience and get your foot in the door, meet people and network for opportunities. That's how we hire people here, if they are good they are offered a full-time job, if they are lazy then they are thrown out of internship and onto the next person.

Another bonus to being a machinist is, it can open up other avenues for you within a company. Learning ANY skill is a good thing, hands-on or otherwise.

Quote:
If you have little seniority you are out the door.

That is the truth. Especially in a tool room, seniority is HUGE...

Starting out, you will be that "weekend guy". Once you get seniority however, you get a steady 7-4pm 1st shift with weekends optional, depending on the industry you are working in.

Quote:
Boeing announced 8000 layoffs earlier this year, with more to be announced later this year. Production rises and falls, they just trim jobs. How many of that 8000 were machinists ? If you have little seniority you are out the door.

That is not the ideal job, it does pay, those machinist are probably in production, the best jobs are not in "machine operator" machinist, just loading round stock, load a cnc prog. and taking measurements every interval, anyone can do that. IMO, the best is in Tool and Die in dedicated tool rooms working with molds/Dies/Press tooling, separating,cleaning and modifying 15,000 lbs molds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Thanks for the info guys. You have been a great help in my research so far and it is greatly appreciated!

I have a cousin who got the AA degree in machine tool technology and started out at 16.50hr for his first job at a plant running a machine. Five years later he was making just a hair shy of $26 an hour and he took another job offer for $3 less an hour because he said that he was one of about 7 or 8 people that had degrees in the field and that they were getting worked almost 20+ hours more than folks who had less than the degree in school. I'm not afraid of working long hours for good money, I'm just afraid off lay offs. Which I keep reading left and right is one of the biggest concerns about becoming a machinist

You gave up on welding completely or just want to try a different field ?

I can understand why you worry about layoffs. Even the military is forcing people out as the active duty military is getting smaller due to budget.

Find a Co-Op and give 100% on the job and prove you can be an asset to company. In this tight job market you have to be willing to do jobs nobody wants to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back