Better mileage from premium gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some engines retard pre-ignition by several degrees upon the detection of knock, I've seen as much as 6 degrees.

Constantly running with 6 degrees less preignition can have a significant impact, also remember premium might not contain ethanol.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The energy content of gasoline is irrespective of the octane rating - assuming it is all gasoline. If it is a blend of gasoline and ethanol then that does not apply. Some regions/stations sell premium that is E0 instead of E10, that can make a difference.

How accurate is that? I thought premium fuel had the same 10% of ethanol as stated on pumps as the lower 87 and 89 grade?

going from winter E10 ethanol to summer E0 92, add in some warmer air temps, yes I can see that.

Last edited:
How accurate is what? The availability of fuel without oxygenates or the energy density?

The requirement for oxygenated fuel is highly local. A few states have mandates that all fuel sold must be reformulated. Some states have mandates that a certain percentage of fuel sold within the state be RFG but not all. Some states have no requirements on a statewide level but local counties have their own rules.

Here is southeastern Wisconsin we are located in an EPA non-attainment area so for all practical purposes RFG is the only fuel you can buy. Even though the actual non-attainment area is isolated to the Milwaukee area (in terms of air quality), the mandate is extended to surrounding counties so that Milwaukee residents cannot easily travel to neighboring counties for non-oxygenated fuel. But if you travel outside the area you can buy gasoline in all grades without ethanol.

However, there are areas in Wisconsin that have local/county mandates so you can find pockets where you cannot buy non-oxygenated fuel. In the areas where non-RFG gasoline is available the most commonly available octane rating is 91 and is often called "recreational fuel" (and is sold at the same pump as all the other grades). But some stations do offer 87 octane non-oxygenated fuel. Here in the non-attainment counties our premium grade is 93 octane and contains up to 10% ethanol.

http://www.pure-gas.org/ is a good website to show just how local and fractured the availability is nationwide.

My comments weren't really geared towards availability but towards energy density as related to octane rating.

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
Originally Posted By: kschachn
The energy content of gasoline is irrespective of the octane rating - assuming it is all gasoline. If it is a blend of gasoline and ethanol then that does not apply. Some regions/stations sell premium that is E0 instead of E10, that can make a difference.

How accurate is that? I thought premium fuel had the same 10% of ethanol as stated on pumps as the lower 87 and 89 grade?

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper

It depends where, I suppose. Here, almost every premium grade is E0, except at one station, where they have one E0 premium and an E10 premium.

Originally Posted By: GaleHawkins
We better MPG and power from premium in the 1992 TBI 454 engine in the motor home but that is the only gas engine where I can measure the difference. That old system retards timing if it senses a spark knock so as a guess the premium gas prevents retarding of the timing hence better performance. Some say it can not happen but they are clueless in this case. At age 65 I can still do simple math.
smile.gif

I've been around cars for a LONG time and I have to really doubt your 92 TBI GM engine had knock sensing capability and timing retard in regards to spark knock.. no calling you a liar but I'd love to see proof of this on a 25 year old GM...

Originally Posted By: dblshock
what I want to know is,,does the EPA let auto mfg's test mileage on E0 fuel?

All ECM programing, emmission testing, and mileage testing is based on E0.

Ed

I am strictly a cost per mile person. While higher mpg might make one feel better, if it costs more per mile to do it, then what is the benefit? I have run all the different grades and ethanol blends thru my flex fuel pickup. Will use the broadest extreme here... Premium is running around $2.79 in my area. E85 is running around $1.69 in my area. My 3/4 ton pickup will average about 15-16 mpg on 93 premium (as well as regular for that matter) and 11-12 mpg on 100 E85. So it costs me about 18 cents a mile to use Premium and roughly 14.6 cents a mile to use E85. Take a wild guess which one would go in my tank if those were my only two fuel choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back