Smoked my first brisket today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smoked my first brisket today. Dry brined with salt about 18 hours before and pumped with some beef broth. Used Big Bad Beef Rub recipe from amazingribs.com. 16 hours at 225 on a large BGE with apple wood and BBQ Guru doing temp control. Wrapped in butcher paper, Aaron Franklin style, after the stall. Rested for 4 hours after it came out.

Small 10 lb choice from local butcher. $3.04/lb
VG0q99Pl.jpg

Rubbed and ready to go
ICfdavWl.jpg

After 16 hour in the smoke
QTdC20hl.jpg

Slice from the flat (I was slicing a bit too thick)
SwPcyiJl.jpg

Slice from the point
77K9DPZl.jpg

Chopped ends and reminder that knives are sharp, even serrated ones
8HU9cG0l.jpg

Get in my belly!
u1Av4g7l.jpg

Are there leftovers? I'll be over with some onion rings and sriracha mayo to make brisket sandwiches.

The dust is still settling from my friend's son's 35th birthday party. "Dad" got a smoker and did some brisket and chickens. Came out well....they tell me.

Your's looks darn good.

Looks very delicious.

A brisket is on my to-do list this summer on the new Oklahoma Joe.

Tomorrow I am attempting my first whole chicken.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Does it matter (texture of meat) if you cut it straight down or on an angle ?

Absolutly. Cutting brisket properly is just as important as how you cook it.

The muscle fibers in a brisket are very long and tough. If you were to cut with the grain of the meat, it would be stringy and hard to chew. The idea is to cut directly across the grain, which is why it gets cut at a very specific angle. I actually used the photo of the uncooked brisket as a reference for the grain pattern when I began slicing.

Brisket is actually two different muscles, called the flat and the point (also called the deckle). The flat is generally leaner, the point fattier. They are separated by a layer of fat. Each muscle has its own grain direction, so the flat gets sliced in a completely different way than the point.

When sliced properly, the cross section will show being made up as little sections (the actual muscle fibers) separated by intermuscular fat.

Nice - save me an end piece ... Love that carbon crunch on a brisket !

I cooked them at deuce & a quarter F for years - but then read stay below 212F (boiling point) to maintain more natural juice. I cook 200F these days ... Add wood on the hour for a good smoke ring ...
Brisket is such a bang for the buck ...

NICE!!! I have one I rubbed at midnight last night, and will be putting it on about midnight tonight. Alternating chunks of cherry, pecan, and hickory. 225-250, no wrap.

down here a lot of people start smokes at midnight.

Do you really stay up all night and tend the thing?

My electric smoker I need to feed it wood chips every 90 minutes.

It looks like it might be easy to chew -- is it easy to chew ?

Some of those tri-tip roasts are like chewing on leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back