Jeepers Creepers! (Jeep Patriot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a SUV not normally on my radar is now somehow entered it...and the wife and son took a short trip in it with some friends, and really liked it. So, might have to consider one..know some stuff about these boys...

Cons: Dated platform..and handles like it. Usual FCA issues..granted-much less more now (10 years to figure it out). No resale value. Engines are noisy..and the P still reeks of last decade's cheapness...

Pros: Cheapest SUV out there..plus I get more discounts.
smile.gif
One of the few models you can still order about as naked as you want. Both engines good on gas. Can get the 6 speed auto instead of the CVT.

IF I consider one, it would be one with the Sport SE package with AC. Ordered with what I want-with discounts it's going to run about 10 grand less than other SUV's I'm considering. It's something I can pay off quite quick. Besides, I could care less about a touch screen or power windows.... It's something we can take on trips, scouting events, and keeping life simple..(less stuff on the truck I'd have to fix) But it leaves me with a few questions....

I need people who own one: What do you like/dislike about it?

How well does the CVT hold up? I try to take the best care of my trannies...well, I take good care of the car too....

While this will be mine, the Cobalt still gets DD duties, so this Jeep will live a pretty easy life(for the most part)...

Is it worth one last Jeep Patriot before they are gone?

I think if you have male genitalia, you should stay away from a Patriot, and consider a Wrangler, a Cherokee, or anything else besides a Patriot.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I think if you have male genitalia, you should stay away from a Patriot, and consider a Wrangler, a Cherokee, or anything else besides a Patriot.

From a guy that has a Mini Cooper? I'm confused....I can't picture a guy that drives a Mini Cooper make fun of a Jeep Patriot for being a "Chick" ride

Originally Posted By: clinebarger

From a guy that has a Mini Cooper? I'm confused....I can't picture a guy that drives a Mini Cooper make fun of a Jeep Patriot for being a "Chick" ride

Says a guy with a Corolla.

I just had to comment because I drive an F150. Wife has the Wrangler.

If you like the Patriot and it suits your needs, you're spot on that they've had 10 years to get it right and all the bugs have been ironed out. I don't know about the transmissions for sure, but the CVT had some problems early IIRC.

Wifes ride, I hate that thing

My mom has a 2012 Jeep Patriot 60k miles. Grandma bought it new. 2.0L CVT. Timing chain cover & oil pan gasket leak, got that fixed. A/C went out last week, taking it in next week to the dealer (extended warranty).

It has a loud whining noise that goes with RPMs once it's warmed up, I think it's the transmission. Dealer thought it was the alternator, they replaced it and it didn't fix anything.

I wouldn't say a wrangler or Cherokee is manly. I see a ton of women driving them. The men that drive them around here are the same ones that had to have a big truck a few years ago because it was manly even though they never use it other than going to work and Walmart. On the wranglers they all put big dumb off-road tires and lights and never take it off road. Every now and then you see one with a soft top or doors and top off but not often.

The patriot would be decent. You could probably get the same thing with a dodge emblem on it though but if there isn't a price difference it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Buy it if you like it. It's your money spend it as you see fit, and enjoy it. I have student whose wife owns one with over 100K problem free miles on it, there's good and bad in every brand.

My daughter is on her 3rd Pat, and she loves them, although hers are leases, so no long term experience on quality/reliability. The Hyundai 6 sp tranny is a quantum leap over the CVT. Dealer discounts are very compelling as the current model production ends later this year. Look here for more info:
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/

Lord Jesus kids.

Rather than slamming each others rides like some high school wieners, why dont you all enlighten OP on why he should stay away from the Patriot?

Patriot IS a Caliber,Compass,Avenger,200,Journey,Mitsubishi Lancer,Outlander,Outlander Sport.....with all the negatives that come with each.Thank Daimler for sharing Mitsu's platform and not allowing Chrysler to design their own.They eat rear tires,older models had crossmember rot,and they employ the marvelous TiPMs that cost $800 to replace and have reprogrammed.

How long would you be keeping this car? Most people don't rate the patriot well. If you can live with that and you can DIY fixes when they get out of warranty, then maybe a patriot would be for you.

Originally Posted By: harbor
My daughter is on her 3rd Pat, and she loves them, although hers are leases, so no long term experience on quality/reliability. The Hyundai 6 sp tranny is a quantum leap over the CVT. Dealer discounts are very compelling as the current model production ends later this year. Look here for more info:
http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/

Good point on the new ones being a regular 6-speed.

If it works for your budget and you're comfortable with the issues, go for it.

Price point would have to be discussed to give the thumbs up or not. I've seen these things listed very low with rebates. What kind of price would we be talking here?

There is so much to a vehicles ergo and fit for a family. If the wife and kids like it, you are 75% of the toward a satisfied family as far as one vehicle goes. That's a huge plus for me.

I can work around most mechanical issues eventually. So order it as you see fit mechanically. Get it as robust as you can. Get on the Jeep boards and join the Patriot threads. See what goes wrong and get ahead on the issues. Order the trailer towing package as a start...

No CVT's for me - ever - but that's just me. Talk to all the Saturn SUV owners who will give you a CVT version in otherwise great shape
frown.gif

I own a 12 Patriot Sport, 67,000 miles. I do worry about the cvt a little, but I worried about the 99 f150 V6 the same way. It supposidly had a hydrolock issue.

This Patriot has no "passing gear" or reserve power fo urgent or emergency situations. I'm glad the new transmission is better and I wish mine was the 6 speed auto.

Mine is 2wd and it rides like a 4x4 pickup. It doesn't roll much if I take a turn too fast. And there have been no leaks. I raised the drivers seat 1 1/2 inches with longer bolts and thick washers and I feel like the seat should be raised some more(I'm 5' 8").

The car Has not been in the shop yet. I did service the cvt myself. Used the maintenance dipstick, fluid fill level chart and an IR thermometer. Replaced 5.5 quarts of fluid, and the screen. Changed the spark plugs at 30k but I think they can make 40k.

Some good feedback....and to answer some questions:

Yes, price would be a factor: I'm guessing it would be between 12-14k..not too bad of a price...

Planning to check the patriot boards as well...I know a few owners too-so I have seen some of the good and the bad.. Seems my biggest worry is going to be the CVT.

The main reason I am considering it is that it should make a nice extra family car in a fleet of older cars. Cheap enough to let me continue to pay down all my debt (house included)..
smile.gif
Plus, it one of our cars do die (by engine or otherwise) it can quickly replace a car in the fleet....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back