Best SAE30 weight oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm assuming they make "dirt" via blow by? I'm familaier with piston fitting for 2 & 4 stroke air-cooled engines. I just never built and airplane engine. Piston to wall greater than 0.002 per bore inch?

I'm thinking that JD Plus50-II is the real deal. I'm goinna chase down some better pricing
smile.gif

I'll buy a coule of jugs and do a OC on the Bronco (215K) and see how it sounds and runs? If it's good, that may more me further into that direction
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
New info - maybe look at TO-4 oils as they are specified VM/VII free ...
smile.gif

Do note, however, TO-4 oils are not motor oils.
blush.gif

Prolly should have mentioned that too... I assumed that if considering TO-4, one would already be familiar with TO-2.

At least as far as CAT is concerned, TO-2 is now considered obsolete and all applications should switch to TO-4. That's sort of a left handed compatibility move which means that any engine spec'd for TO-2 can now be expected to run on TO-4...

And that leads me to believe that TO-4 is just a fancy motor oil still ... And maybe fancy enough for our consideration
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Magic Mir liquid...

All the descriptions I read including Motex (from Switzerland...) who make TO-4 claim it enhances wet clutch action while keeping gears separated by a film under extreme pressure. Now that's quite a trick
laugh.gif

So according to that logic, it is what we need between steel cam cores/gears and bronze distributor gears when the builder decides to run a high pressure oil pump in a wet sump application ...

Last edited:
BrocLuno,

Closer to home (well your home, as we don't get this stuff here), how about Valvoline VR-1 SAE 30 ?

VR-1 PDS

It's SN rated, with high ZDDP (1400 ppm), good TBN (8.5) and ready to go straight in your car.

They make SAE 30, 40, 50 and 60 in VR-1, so you could probably mix up a batch of "SAE 35" if you wanted.

The VR-1 10W-30 looks pretty good too. I wish they listed HTHS on the spec sheet.

F123182559.jpg

Last edited:
Can you guys on the prison island or across the pond get Mobil 1600 series mono-grade in smaller than 209L drums?

The VR-1 pds shows density and KV numbers. You should be able to make an educated guess on the HTHS.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Can you guys on the prison island or across the pond get Mobil 1600 series mono-grade in smaller than 209L drums?

The VR-1 pds shows density and KV numbers. You should be able to make an educated guess on the HTHS.

If I could get it in 20L, the 1630 would be the only thing in my shed.

The readily available straight weights here are 40's.

I've run straight Mobil 40W in a Ford Sierra DOHC (European model car, not US truck) and a straight CPC 40W in the Daihatsu and they seemed OK, which of course, like all this anecdotal "no issues" stuff, means very little.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: userfriendly

If I could get it in 20L, the 1630 would be the only thing in my shed.

Not the exactly the same thing, but my local Caltex supplier will sell me Delo Silver SAE 30 in 5L containers. It's a normal Oz price, about the same as GTX at a regular store.

Delo Silver

It's API CF / SJ, with 940ppm Zn and TBN of 9.2 (D4739) or 6.8 (D2896), VI = 118, Pour Point = -39C
KV 40 = 90 cSt
KV100 = 11.5 cSt

For comparison, Castrol RX Mono 30 is API CF/SG, TBN 7.1 (D2896), VI = 107
KV 40 = 98.6
KV 100 = 11.5 cSt

And right now I'm running GTX 15W-40, API SN/CF, TBN = 8.3 (D ???), Pour Point = -36 C
KV 40 = 113 cSt
KV 100 = 14.5 cSt

I'm tempted to drop the GTX 15W-40 and try the Delo Silver SAE 30

VR-1 is great oil. Straight weight 30 is what gets used to break-in all my "built" motors. But, it's a bit pricey for all fleet use.

Just looking for another oil that would be cheaper and do the same job, or be so much better I could run it longer to get back $$ ...

Can't see putting VR-1 in the tractors
laugh.gif

Or into that future 8V-92 with 10 gallon sump/filter capacity ...

Last edited:
Rotella SAE30 and call it a day for the tractors.
OR
How much do you use a year?
Enough to warrant a LOT of bulk?
Then I'd go Delvac 1630!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back