Need a tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving home today, about 50 miles from home in my new Camry I suddenly hear the thump, thump, thump and a quick check of my TPMS shows 0 psi in right rear tire. Pull over and, well, I change the tire but turn the lug nut the wrong way snapping off the stud. It was a long day before that. The tire is shot. Huge holes on the inside of the sidewall. 16000 miles on the tires/car. Bridgestone Turanza EL400 which cost about $160 each. The tires generally get bad reviews but I didn't think they were bad tires. Until this.

Do I buy one of the same tire as the rest? If I have to buy two new tires, I'd like to get something cheaper and better. The other 3 tires on the camry look great.

Local tire store wants $150 to change out the stud. Says they have to special order a new stud and lug nut; they are not stock items. LOL. I already sourced a new stud at the local autozone and pulled the broken stud out the lug nut with a vise-grip. It came out very easily.

I will be doing the lug stud replacement myself tomorrow as all the local shops are closed the rest of the weekend except the one that wants $150

Last edited:
Look on Ebay or craigslist, you can often find one tire to match at a fair price. I have had good success with this in the past.

How much wear on the other tires? How much tread do you have? Everybody's driving conditions are different, and OE tires aren't known to be the best, so that 16k could mean 9/32 or 3/32 tread left.

You may want to consider Bridgestone's DriveGuard run-flats
smile.gif

So the tire blew out of nowhere? How do you know the other 3 aren't shot as well? I would buy 4 new tires from the discount tire memorial day sale

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How much wear on the other tires? How much tread do you have? Everybody's driving conditions are different, and OE tires aren't known to be the best, so that 16k could mean 9/32 or 3/32 tread left.

You may want to consider Bridgestone's DriveGuard run-flats
smile.gif

im at 7-8/32 on 11.5k on factory continental pro contacts on my Malibu. we usually get new cars coming in between 20-30k with 3/32 tread left on factory tires needing new tires.

if it were me i would buy 2 tires and save the old one if u done buy road hazzard coverage.

Last edited:
As the other three look great I'd just get one cheapie. If you're worried about uneven wear give it more time up front in the rotation pattern.

If you buy four tires now and store them or whatever they'll get hard and age out before you even mount them.

Thanks for the advice. I changed out the broken stud this morning. The rear rotor was stuck but a quick trip to home depot for a 8x1.25 bolt threaded into the rotor broke the rotor loose in 5 seconds. Very easy.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is this an LE or SE model Camry?

It's an XLE with 215 55R17 tires.

Why not just replace all 4?

257nhoi.jpg

I bought these same 4 tires for my fusion, in the same size you're specifying for your car. They're great tires, and with the current deal going on at DTD, you can buy 4 for only about $260 delivered, after the rebates are figured in.

.. and just keep the best two that are on there now as spares.

I bought one tire. The other ones look new so I kept them. Not many places open today. Bought a Cooper CS3 at Sears. Amazing how a $103 tire costs $160 to get mounted and installed with a TPMS kit.

Sounds like the better bet would have been buy all four of the Cooper Zeon RS3-A and save the good tires on the car for spares.

What kind of TMPS "kit" did the use?

the RS3-A would be a good tire for AZ (except for the Flagstaff area, iirc, the part of AZ that snows), but not for a Jersey winter. May have a all-season compound and just voids for the M+S, but not enough siping.

OP probably got raped on a "rebuild" kit on the TPMS... which, with the TPMS sensors I'm used to, there's no point, since you just need to unscrew the needle valve to let the air out quickly. No need to replace the seals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back