Small Engine Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd get an oil pressure baseline on the new 7000 series Kohler 22HP V=Twin before I test different oils and filters. Oil and filter are genuine Kohler, 10w-30 and 12-050-01S. Engine has 6.5 hours and had the oil/filter changed at 5 hours.

2ahljr.jpg

33k9nq1.jpg

2m6a8hl.jpg

1441cbb.jpg

I might be mistaken, but doesn't the pump only pump the oil through the filter, not the entire engine. Isn't the engine itself splash lubricated? I was told that about my 21HP Briggs on my riding mower.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I might be mistaken, but doesn't the pump only pump the oil through the filter, not the entire engine. Isn't the engine itself splash lubricated? I was told that about my 21HP Briggs on my riding mower.

Not sure.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Where did you install the pressure gauge?

Installed just above the filter. That's a cooler/heatsink over the filter in the pic.

2utrgwm.jpg

Nice. I just got a new cub cadet xt1 with that same engine. So far loving it.

Coming up on an oil change very soon. Almost 5 hours. Got a Supertech filter and some chevron delo 10w30 for it. Though I suspect some regular pcmo 10w30 would be fine in conventional or synthetic.

I don't have any pics but I installed a gauge on my Deere L110- it has around 30psi cold at idle, 35psi cold at operating RPM and it'll creep UP to 40psi hot at operating RPM.

Engine is a 17.5hp Kohler Command and oil is whatever leftover synthetic 5w-30 I have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Justin251

Coming up on an oil change very soon. Almost 5 hours. Got a Supertech filter and some chevron delo 10w30 for it. Though I suspect some regular pcmo 10w30 would be fine in conventional or synthetic.

Mine is an XT1 also. I was going to compare oil pressure between filters to see which is the least restrictive. I believe the gauge port is on the inlet side of the filter.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I don't have any pics but I installed a gauge on my Deere L110- it has around 30psi cold at idle, 35psi cold at operating RPM and it'll creep UP to 40psi hot at operating RPM.

Engine is a 17.5hp Kohler Command and oil is whatever leftover synthetic 5w-30 I have.

Does your engine have hydraulic lifters? That would explain the requirement for higher oil pressure.

Last edited:
Big end of rod is pressure lubed through crank just like big engines with full pressure....not 100% sure on front\rear main bearings....actually bushings on kohlers....I have a 20hp command all torn apart I can get pics from.

Same series 7000 in my SCAG runs really strong kept OEM filter for first change plug check new RC12YC Champions went in OEM plugs looked great but one gap was way out of spec. Air Filtration will be the biggest key I think at least in the configuration that I have on the SCAG Zero Turn.

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Big end of rod is pressure lubed through crank just like big engines with full pressure....not 100% sure on front\rear main bearings....actually bushings on kohlers....I have a 20hp command all torn apart I can get pics from.

How about the top end? Rockers? I figure the engines with hydraulic lifters oil the top end through the pushrods but on the others ???

So now that we know how little oil pressure these engines make, is it a bad idea to use an oil filter with a high bypass valve pressure setting like 14psi?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So now that we know how little oil pressure these engines make, is it a bad idea to use an oil filter with a high bypass valve pressure setting like 14psi?

As long as you change the oil and filter as required I doubt there's a chance that the bypass valve would come into play regardless of the PSI setting.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: Justin251

Mine is an XT1 also. I was going to compare oil pressure between filters to see which is the least restrictive. I believe the gauge port is on the inlet side of the filter.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Does your engine have hydraulic lifters? That would explain the requirement for higher oil pressure.

The Command series does have hydraulic lifers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back