2016 F150 5.0 V8 Oil questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigt61
IMO the engine will break in better if you leave the factory fill in and follow the OLM. I would also stay with a semi synthetic until 30k and then switch over to full synthetic. I feel these modern engines and their low tension oil rings have a hard time seating with early changeover to full synthetic.

While doing some general engine lubrication research, this time on aero lubes for piston engines, it seems that most do not want any synthetics in there for the first three oil changes. Only dino oil. Then you MAY be free to use syn-blend. This is from a couple of sites including Blackstone's discussion of aero lubes ...

I personally have never been a fan of pure synthetics. But now even Mobil Aero is listed as a blend with no mention of PAO or the word synthetic in their blurb. It obviously has some GrpIII (+) in there as it's a full 15W-50 oil.

Point being that both OEM MFG's and reputable re-builders of piston aircraft engines seem to specify dino oil for break-in. SOooo, if I was in your shoes, I'd be likely to only go premium blend. I'd do early changes and add magnetic drain plug, but no full syn for while ...

I've been too busy to do an early oil change. I will have a bit over 2000 km by next weekend. Will do an oil change after that. Picked up my trailer today to get it ready for camping next weekend. Wow does this 5.0 ever pull like a champ! So smooth. Power everywhere. I don't feel like it's too much trailer. Very smooth pulling even in overdrive which I couldn't do with my old truck.

Originally Posted By: advocate
Will check out the uoa section for uoa's for sure!

We haven't raced. But my nephews 2.7 is beating me for fuel economy so far. But I'm doing the "drive it like you stole it" break in for now... Won't worry about fuel economy for a while on mine. The v8 sounds too good to drive around nicely! Likes to be revved yet can lug around very easily.

I don't like Ecoboosts, never have. The 3.5 gets like 1 mpg better than the V8 and they're having a whole host of problems with them. You will like the V8, it should treat you good. Can't say much about the 2.7 because it just came out, but I hope it's better than the 3.5. Sadly, by 2018 Ford is dropping all V8 options in their trucks and cars, which just killed my dream of ever owning a brand new Mustang. I wouldn't buy a Mustang without a V8, just won't happen! Pretty sure this will drive the value of V8 cars and trucks up like crazy once people realize what moneypits those Ecoboosts are!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: advocate
Will check out the uoa section for uoa's for sure!

We haven't raced. But my nephews 2.7 is beating me for fuel economy so far. But I'm doing the "drive it like you stole it" break in for now... Won't worry about fuel economy for a while on mine. The v8 sounds too good to drive around nicely! Likes to be revved yet can lug around very easily.

I don't like Ecoboosts, never have. The 3.5 gets like 1 mpg better than the V8 and they're having a whole host of problems with them. You will like the V8, it should treat you good. Can't say much about the 2.7 because it just came out, but I hope it's better than the 3.5. Sadly, by 2018 Ford is dropping all V8 options in their trucks and cars, which just killed my dream of ever owning a brand new Mustang. I wouldn't buy a Mustang without a V8, just won't happen! Pretty sure this will drive the value of V8 cars and trucks up like crazy once people realize what moneypits those Ecoboosts are!

Got any credible sources for the claim of the v8 going the way of the dinosaurs? All I can find are websites speculating it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back