2013 ford fusion AC stank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AC has a horrible smell, only started this year. I know the typical AC smell, kind of musty and goes away in a few minutes. But this is some kind of different stench. Makes the hair in your nose curl and your eyes water, and it never really goes away.

Any idea how to get rid of it?

Replace the cabin filter with a charcoal/carbon filter
smile.gif

There are several foaming evaporator cleaners available to remove the mildew smell. Stick the tube from the spray can through the center vents and up the drain tube. Unfortunately the newer version of kilma cleaner doesn't foam anymore. Consider turning off the ac and recurculate several miles before your destination.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
There are several foaming evaporator cleaners available to remove the mildew smell. Stick the tube from the spray can through the center vents and up the drain tube. Unfortunately the newer version of kilma cleaner doesn't foam anymore. Consider turning off the ac and recurculate several miles before your destination.

Right, Turn off recirculate 5min from home.

Replace cabin air filter.. Also Try Spray in vent cleaner

make sure the evap drain is not clogged; it is probably mold which a shot of lysol might take care of; this is what click and clack have recommended in the past.

1. Remove the cabin filter of your car uses one.
2. Blast the inside of the vents with A/C vent cleaner. I find that Autozone stocks Interdynamics brand and it works.
3. Install a new cabin filter if your car uses one.
4. Don't use recirculate mode 100% of the time.

I also like to use "Titaium Rain scent" or "Black Out scent" vent sticks by Driven.

I'd recommend pulling the blower motor to see if you can look at the evaporator core. I use Tuff Stuff foaming cleaner on both car & home evaporators as it contains the same detergents as the can labeled stuff the A/C houses charge $14 for. It also has a nice clean smell.

I'm surprised you're already using the A/C in Alberta!

Yep, turn off the AC and recirc option on final approach to home. But leave the fan running on medium to high to run the fresh air though the system. Make sure the cowl area at base of windshield is free of debris. Make sure you're not the stinker and take daily shower with deodorant.

That TSB says to replace the entire heater box. We did a few of these. The front doors have to come off i order to take the dash out. Hope you are still under warranty because if you are out, the TSB is not covered.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
make sure the evap drain is not clogged; it is probably mold which a shot of lysol might take care of; this is what click and clack have recommended in the past.

Went with a can of lime scent Lysol. Seems to have done the trick. I k of it isn't permanent, but a $2 can of Lysol a couple times a year seems a lot cheaper than having all that work done that's listed in the tsb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back