5.4 3V under valve cover pics & solenoid failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 F150 FX4 with 116,000 miles. I am the 3rd owner and owner #2 changed the oil with Mobil 1 5w20 with Motorcraft filters based on the OLM for 90,000+ miles.

These pictures are all from the drivers side. The driver's side head had some yellowing and the valve cover had some cooked on varnish. The passenger side valve cover had no measure varnish and the passenger side head was spotless. The driver's side solenoid is shown below with an obvious failure in one of the screens but overall looked good compared to others I have seen. The passenger side solenoid was visually perfect.

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

I would say it looks pretty good with only a smidgeon of the brownish-red varnish.

Any ideas of the previous oils used? Possibly MotorCraft 5W30?

Were any Cam-Lobe measurments taken to determine wear?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would say it looks pretty good with only a smidgeon of the brownish-red varnish.

Any ideas of the previous oils used? Possibly MotorCraft 5W30?

Were any Cam-Lobe measurments taken to determine wear?

Previous 90,000+ miles was Mobil 1 5w20 changed via OLM.

No measurements were taken.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Fix it and put it back together

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4109032/Re:_5.4_3V_VCT_solenoid_replac#Post4109032

My experience is that it doesn't take much carbon or a carbon or varnish particle to make a VVT valve inoperative.

I would mix some Rislone Engine Additive (a cleaner) in with the MO to clean out any small carbon particles lurking elsewhere.

How long did the OCI's with the oil monitor go? I would expect nothing less than a spotless engine with M1 or any name brand synthetic changed at the appropriate intervals in a healthy engine.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
How long did the OCI's with the oil monitor go? I would expect nothing less than a spotless engine with M1 or any name brand synthetic changed at the appropriate intervals in a healthy engine.

The owner's manual calls for 7,500 so I suspect the OLM is in that neighborhood.

The passenger side head is spotless and valve cover had very minimal varnish. The driver's side head had some yellowing and valve cover had some cooked on varnish. The issue is isolated to the driver's side head and is not engine wide. Peaking down both sides into timing cover revealed a bright & shiny/silver engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back