2015 6.7L Powerstroke Fuel Filter Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I researched heavily in the various diesel platforms before purchasing my F-250 and did so with the understanding the primary weakness in the Ford 6.7L platform is arguably the fuel system. With that in mind, I went into it planning to stay firmly on top of fuel system maintenance. I have drained the fuel filter religiously every 30 days and I just changed the primary and secondary fuel filter for the first time at 15K. The process was not frustrating and totally uneventful (nice YouTube video that goes through the whole process. Despite draining the filter housing about 25 days ago, there were a few droplets of water at the very bottom of the primary filter housing (no photos, my hands were wet with diesel).

One of the biggest issues that I see is the WIF (water in fuel) sensor is mounted too high in the bowl. There could be 4-6 (possibly more) ounces of water before the WIF warning alerted the driver, and at that point, there would certainly be water in the fuel system wreaking havoc. Many PSD owners who have experienced fuel system failure due to water complained the sensor never alerted them--I believe them. To counter the possibility of water related damage, I have used Stanadyne additive since the second tank. I have a sample of Archoil that I am going to try in the near future.

Otherwise, all that is needed is a 32MM socket to remove the primary fuel bowl and an o-ring hook for the primary fuel bowl. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

O-Ring Hook (Craftsman):
GHZyp0.jpg

Primary Filter:
BgUeHe.jpg

LBbYSQ.jpg

OBDohF.jpg

E38zDB.jpg

Interior of primary fuel bowl (WIF sensor @ 12:00 in both photos and bowl drain @ 8:00):
ZIhPoF.jpg

DXjl20.jpg

Secondary Fuel Filter:
X5Lgw7.jpg

yPHsqJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have never found any water in my fuel.i stopped draining my filter as it served no purpose. I did check mine after 20k and nothing
You have a 2011-2016 6.7L Powerstroke?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I have never found any water in my fuel.i stopped draining my filter as it served no purpose. I did check mine after 20k and nothing
no but I have a diesel with a water filter that has a drain.if there was water in our fuel I'd know about it

no but I have a diesel with a water filter that has a drain.if there was water in our fuel I'd know about it
This problem is unique to 2011-2016 (possibly the 2017s too) 6.7L platform. I had 6 drops of water in the bowl of mine when I pulled it this morning despite draining less than a month ago. Unfortunately, there are countless tales of water damaging the fuel system on late model Ford diesels--just Google it if interested.

Thanks 2015 PSD. I changed mine (too prematurely) and haven't been draining mine religiously...been relying on minder. Didn't see any water when I changed mine...one of my biggest fears is water in fuel. Have been using Archoil 6200 mainly for demulsfier...so far so good. Best

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What brand filter are you using? It seems like with every new diesel from Ford the fuel filters get more and more expensive.
It takes Motorcraft FD-4615 (BC3Z-9N184-B) and those are what I am using. Because the fuel system seems to be fairly persnickety, I have been very reluctant to change to a different brand. I pay $40.00 to the door for the kit.

I am using the same kit. 2015 PSD, any thoughts on a dieselsite filter setup on a 6.7? Thought about it...but haven't done anything...don't want to mess with warranty issues with aftermarket stuff.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What brand filter are you using? It seems like with every new diesel from Ford the fuel filters get more and more expensive.
It takes Motorcraft FD-4615 (BC3Z-9N184-B) and those are what I am using. Because the fuel system seems to be fairly persnickety, I have been very reluctant to change to a different brand. I pay $40.00 to the door for the kit.

That is a [censored] of a price on that part number, less than my cost.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I am using the same kit. 2015 PSD, any thoughts on a dieselsite filter setup on a 6.7? Thought about it...but haven't done anything...don't want to mess with warranty issues with aftermarket stuff.
I have contacted Dieselsite and discussed their setup. Aside from the $700 price tag (which is peanuts compared to a fuel system repair, that is usually NOT covered by Ford even with the extended warranty), the filter does not positively stop the flow of fuel if water is detected.

There was a post (that I cannot find now) on The Diesel Stop where a poster said they had a signed statement from Diesel Site stating it absolutely stops the flow of fuel when water is detected. I am skeptical about it because I received a mail stating that it will not stop the flow of fuel (I can PM it to you if you want to see it).

I am still waffling on it--not due to any issues with Ford (especially since nothing will be modified to install it, it is completely bolt on), but because I am questioning what is to be gained other than a visual way to see the water.

This problem is unique to 2011-2016 (possibly the 2017s too) 6.7L platform. I had 6 drops of water in the bowl of mine when I pulled it this morning despite draining less than a month ago. Unfortunately, there are countless tales of water damaging the fuel system on late model Ford diesels--just Google it if interested.

Have you considered a 20 micron water separator from Donaldson? I'll be installing one of these on my 6.4 ltr soon. I'm coming up for my first fuel filter change, so I'll know what condition the filters are in then. I did change them out when I bought the truck, and they were in great condition. I haven't had any fuel related issues at all, but I did add a low pressure fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on fuel delivery from the low pressure fuel pump. I use Stanadyne fuel conditioner as well. Oh and I forgot to mention, that I only fuel up at the same fuel stops and if I'm on a road trip only truck stops.

Thanks 2015 PSD. Interesting info, Thanks. I see your point on what is actually gained by installing it if the water issue isn't resolved. No need to PM. I appreciate the insight...thanks for sharing. Perhaps the aftermarket will have some more choices to address the water issue down the road. Definitely an ongoing weak spot for the 6.7.

Thanks 2015 PSD. Interesting info, Thanks. I see your point on what is actually gained by installing it if the water issue isn't resolved. No need to PM. I appreciate the insight...thanks for sharing. Perhaps the aftermarket will have some more choices to address the water issue down the road. Definitely an ongoing weak spot for the 6.7.

Same issue with the 2009 6.4 ltr, so because of this I'm only running Ford fuel filters at the moment.

No worries. The thing to do would to pick up the Diesel site hoses (about $300) and connect them to a powered centrifuge style water separator (the Diesel site setup is supposed to be a separator but no centrifuge).

Originally Posted By: A310

Have you considered a 20 micron water separator from Donaldson? I'll be installing one of these on my 6.4 ltr soon. I'm coming up for my first fuel filter change, so I'll know what condition the filters are in then. I did change them out when I bought the truck, and they were in great condition. I haven't had any fuel related issues at all, but I did add a low pressure fuel pressure gauge to keep an eye on fuel delivery from the low pressure fuel pump. I use Stanadyne fuel conditioner as well. Oh and I forgot to mention, that I only fuel up at the same fuel stops and if I'm on a road trip only truck stops.
Do you have a link to one of those? I also only purchase fuel from places that have high volume sales.

I find it odd that people are getting enough water in their fuel to cause problems. Are they using a contaminated can from someone's back yard?

I have been driving diesels since 1998 as well as maintaining customers trucks and have never found any measurable amount of water in a filter.

We all know that water in diesel can really mess up a diesel injection system but where is it coming from?

I find it odd that people are getting enough water in their fuel to cause problems. Are they using a contaminated can from someone's back yard?

I have been driving diesels since 1998 as well as maintaining customers trucks and have never found any measurable amount of water in a filter.

We all know that water in diesel can really mess up a diesel injection system but where is it coming from?
Google it, you will soon find out it is not odd, but unfortunately all too common. Even from those who have purchased from high volume diesel stations and drained the filter.

I have had water drain out of both the front and rear filter's on my Ram multiple times. I didn't think it was that uncommon
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: A310

Do you have a link to one of those? I also only purchase fuel from places that have high volume sales.

Here's the link to the PDF on Donaldson/Racor water separator :

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/do...uel-Systems.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back