Impressed with Yokohama Geolander A/T G015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not big into reviews, but these tires are blowing me away, granted I've only had them for 24 hours now...

I was needing new tires for my Frontier. It's only a RWD, but I do drive on some bad roads and off the road for work sometimes. I was getting tired of my highway tires turning into slicks if it was muddy at all. I was really looking for a slightly more aggressive tread but with great highway manners.

My local Discount Tire ordered these for me from DTD and I had them put on yesterday so I could take advantage of the $75 Memorial Day sale (also a $70 MIR from Yokohama). So far I'm blown away by these! They balanced well, they ride smooth, they're quiet too. Almost as quiet as the Bridgestone Alenzas I had on it. In fact, on highway expansion joints these are quieter. They have a 60,000 mile tread life warranty too. The tread is pretty soft, compared to the Bridgestone highway tires I had. I'm sure I'll end up using the tread wear warranty down the road.

If your in the market for a milder on/off road tire, take a look at these. BTW, these are the newer 2016 version, not the old A/T-S version. These also have the mountain/snowflake symbol on them.

I had a set once. Great tires. Going from Goodyear Wranglers to these was night and day.

Every Yokohama tire I have had has been among the best I have had in the "class" - snow, a/s touring, etc. They are probably the brand I have had the most uniform excellent performance from.

Have not tried them on a truck yet, but the next time my SUV needs tires I'll likely give these a shot. Thanks for the post.

I wonder how these would do on a crossover like our new to us RAV4. It would save buying a set of snow tires, and I wouldn't have to worry about the transition times of year when we have unpredictable weather.

Bought my RAV4, the previous owner had gotten nearly 70k miles out of the Yokohama tires.

They were flat bald, but I have never seen another tire go to 70k miles.

Day one I drove the car to Discount tire and put a new set of tires on.

They continue to impress me. Did a 200 mile round trip on them yesterday. These are ALMOST as smooth and quiet as the Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenzas they replaced. I can't believe how well the road manners are for an on/off road tire. I really think Yokohama hit a home run with this tire, especially for someone who doesn't want or need a super aggressive A/T tire!

I just hope that continues for the life of the tire.... I know some tires get louder, etc the more miles they have (i.e. the OEM BF Goodrich Long Trails that were on it when it was a new truck)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
I wonder how these would do on a crossover like our new to us RAV4. It would save buying a set of snow tires, and I wouldn't have to worry about the transition times of year when we have unpredictable weather.

Good so far, we put a set of AT all weather tires(snow rated) on the CRV a month ago. I would've liked something like these Geolanders but the only tire in the CRV size was a multimile XTX sport(made in the US).
They are a bit noisier than 3 season tires but are great for the mild off roading you can do with a fwd based SUV. We did some trails with a bit of mud and they are so much better the old hydro edges and the Xice we had on before
None of the AT all weather tires seem to have great ratings for ice traction, but do well in deep snow and maybe these newer Geolanders will do better on ice.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Good so far, we put a set of AT all weather tires(snow rated) on the CRV a month ago. I would've liked something like these Geolanders but the only tire in the CRV size was a multimile XTX sport(made in the US).
They are a bit noisier than 3 season tires but are great for the mild off roading you can do with a fwd based SUV. We did some trails with a bit of mud and they are so much better the old hydro edges and the Xice we had on before
None of the AT all weather tires seem to have great ratings for ice traction, but do well in deep snow and maybe these newer Geolanders will do better on ice.

Good to hear! This vehicle will likely see some very mild off-roading. The tires on it now look to be for on-road-only use.

Even regular snow tires don't do terrifically well on ice. A studded tire definitely will, but we aren't willing to put up with studded tires for the 1-2 times a season we'd need them. A mountain/snowflake tire should do better than most all-seasons, which is what I'm after.

I can tell you the difference.
The A/T-S were good in deep snow, lasted forever, but were very slick and would not steer on compact snow.
Call that understeer, turn the wheel and nothing happens.
Solution, gear down, lock up the back tires and induce over-steer.
Better/best solution; Fully siped, snow flake and studs.
My udder tires are studded Hankook RW-11s, 275/65/20 3 ply sidewall on 20X9 wheels.

Not true from my experience yoko Geolandar A/T-S wear fast...
50000miles to bald max. more like 40000mile max tires if you run them in winter. They also get very good MPG for an all-terrain tread.

now some of their oem tires other models of Geolandar lasted painfully long.. when you want them to wear out.

The new geolandar G015 have improved siping, winter and wet traction.. And possibly tweaked rolling resistance, and longevity with latest compounds.

The old A/T-S had a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty. These new A/T G015 have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty. The A/T-S also had a UTQG of 500AB. The new G015 have a UTQG of 600AB. I suspect this is from Yokohamas new tread compounds used in the latest generation tire.

Always been a Yokohama user but decided to give a break switching to Nitto for my FJ Cruiser. The tires were OK but harsh on road with noise and bad ride. Yokohama introduced GO15 and its a heaven and [censored] difference in comfort, steering and overall stability with very good performance off road as well aired down. In rains and on hills way better steering response compared to the Nitto. Will never go back to any other again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back