Performance exhaust question

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no 87 T-Type, last year was 86. In 87 it was called a Regal with a Turbo T package. If you bought one with the package the fender emblem is a "T" vs. 1986 where the car was sold as a T-Type and had a "T-Type" badge in bold lettering on the fenders. Steering wheel same difference.

I should have stated the T-Type was available in different colors while GN's were not. T-Types were also faster than GN's in stock form as the rims and bumper supports were aluminum vs. steel on the GN making for for a lighter car all things being equal with the powertrain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: 007
Plus I thought you had a T-Type?

My neighbor has an 87 T-Type that's black so I thought it was a GN. The seats are different I think. Very few differences other than that.

I think the turbocharger, intercooler, and rear suspension were different as well.

Anyway, I always get told that turbo engines perform better using a glasspack style muffler rather than a baffled one. The Magnaflow is more like a glasspack, but I don't know what the Pypes system is like.

Of course, I really don't know what works best on a Buick turbo engine.

Also, do these engines use a pellet style catalytic converter? If they do, swap it out for a grid style cat. There is a huge difference in backpressure.

Pypes are quality pieces. They sound great and are very affordable. I have a set of Dynomax Superturbo's on my 300. Also another GREAT muffler.

Well it looks like the exhaust replacement is inevitable. Found that my hi flow test pipe is leaking on both ends from a bad install that tightening will not fix. I found numerous pin holes in many places on the exhaust as a whole. There was a deal on a Pypes set that expired Friday that would have gotten me what I needed less the test pipe for around $340 shipped at 20% off. Hindsight is 20/20.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Magnaflow mufflers have packing material that lasts longer than standard packing but the sound still changes over time. For American muscle you may want to consider Flowmaster. A custom Flowmaster system on American muscle cars has a sweet tune that's hard to beat.

^This.

The best exhaust, of course, would be a straight tube from the cat back, chuck the resonator. If you're taking the thing apart anyways, before you commit, try and see how it sounds.

Agreed. I put a SB3030 from classic chambered exhaust on my truck. Love it. Check them out.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Magnaflow mufflers have packing material that lasts longer than standard packing but the sound still changes over time. For American muscle you may want to consider Flowmaster. A custom Flowmaster system on American muscle cars has a sweet tune that's hard to beat.

Personal opinion, I will never use Flowmaster. I hate that sound, every car I hear with them sounds the same.

They've also been shown to actually LOSE power on most LSx applications (the Flowmaster mufflers/systems that is).
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Which one is stainless?

Both are but they are different grades.

The Magnaflow is 409.

Are the Pypes systems actually 304?!?
21.gif

I am looking to replace the dual exhaust on my 86 Grand National with either a Pypes system (SGG50R)for around $350 vs a system from Magnaflow (16884)for around $650. Magnaflow is still made in the USA but I am not sure if its worth the cost if both units perform the same. Anyone have experience with either?

My wife has a GN, and I suggest finding a local shop--hers has a simple setup: turbo to a hi-flow catalytic converter, then straightpipes back to the quarter panels. Between the turbo and the cat, it's quiet.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Personal opinion, I will never use Flowmaster. I hate that sound, every car I hear with them sounds the same.

They've also been shown to actually LOSE power on most LSx applications (the Flowmaster mufflers/systems that is).
frown.gif

Nothing sounds good like the late nineties anymore. I heard a Ram the other day (probably a HEMI) and it had the single exit dual pipes. Very rare setup compared to the look of true duals. Sounded so good. You know how they say smells can bring back memories? Well, sounds can do some reminiscing! It was pretty great....I thought for sure the motor was worked in some way.

Fast forward to now. It seems all we get are loudmouth V6s and the occasional good sounding V8. Back then, the SBC350 all sounded good, the Fox Body OHV, Camaro 305, Dodge 318, etc etc. now it just depresses as it is just abouthaving more power....not the process to get there.

A Turbo powered V6 in the Buick GN's and T Types sounds like a Hoover Vacuum on steroids. That said with just some minor tweaking they give anything a run for the money as they move like a scared rabbit! This, coming from a guy who has had a BBB and a SBB.

Back to the thread itself. I was very disappointed that one of the SS pipes in my new PYPES dual exhaust was made from two pieces of stock welded together. Wasn't necessary as it was part of a set of two and the other wasn't. Guess I got caught in some cost saving nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back