Castrol 0w40 vs M1 0w40 FS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi @ll

I'm about to do oil change on my .. DI v8 4.8 100k km
Spec required A40

Both oils meet the spec... car was always fed M1 0w40

But not sure how I feel about new formula for FS... I have both oils on hand.

Please advise

This will become a brand loyalty fanboy thread quite quickly..

If both meet spec then neither you or your engine will notice any difference, apart from maybe extra noise with M1. Jk. Seriously, either will be fine.

But isn't there a quality concern over new blend not being good enough for BMW ?

I read that A40 is more strict... but still have some concerns.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Hi @ll

I'm about to do oil change on my .. DI v8 4.8 100k km
Spec required A40

Both oils meet the spec... car was always fed M1 0w40

But not sure how I feel about new formula for FS... I have both oils on hand.

Please advise

It meets A40, that is what you need.
As for BMW, LL-01 is updated and according to some people right now most stringent spec. New M1 FS is almost 0W30 oil. I personally like thicker oils so my preference would be Castrol 0W40.
However, you are asking very political question. You will be fine with both, and if you use M1 0W40 FS you can let us know how did it in engine.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Does it has to be a 0w-40? There are also some 5-40 that is A40 spec.

Does not have to be 0w40. But my guess is the OP is only considering these two particular 0w40 oils because they are extremely comptitively priced in the US. Nothing comes close, unless you happen to come upon some crazy closeout sale.

I'd got with Castrol just to try something new for a few OCIs to see how you like it.

Otherwise, go with M1. Think about it, Mobil is not going to tarnish the M1 name putting out a substandard oil.

Castrol went in
smile.gif
thx guys ....
No 5w40 available....

I might look at Amsoil or Ravenol for next oil change ...

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Castrol went in
smile.gif
thx guys ....
No 5w40 available....

I might look at Amsoil or Ravenol for next oil change ...

Was that heads or tails?

j/k, please let us know how you like the oil, and how it "feels" to you in your car.

Currently running M1 0w-40 for my Camaro that's specced for 5w-30. Can't tell or see any noticeable difference so far in temps, idle/operating oil pressures, etc. I'm using the older full strength version (ie non-FS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back