7200 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yup

I have a bit over 7200 miles on my oil change. NAPA synthetic 5w20 and a $1.99 QS filter. As per BITOG commentators, I'm highly anticipating the explosion my engine makes from such a cheap filter. I plan on changing after about 600 miles round trip this weekend. That'll put me just under 8k miles and 7 months.

Is there someone who could lose sleep over this for me? I'm sure I'm on borrowed time.
grin.gif

Was the 1.99 QS filter from Menards?? I believe its a Purolater Classic.I'm sure it's fine but I wouldn't of ran it to 7,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Was the 1.99 QS filter from Menards?? I believe its a Purolater Classic.I'm sure it's fine but I wouldn't of ran it to 7,500 miles.

Yep. It's my 6th one over the last 50K miles. What happens to them that everyone worries about? The tearing issue? A little unfiltered oil on a car with close to 200K ain't gonna hurt nothin.

Quaker State filters are typically Puro Classics. Not a good filter for anything past 5,000 or so but they hold up okay at higher mileages apparently. The local quick lubes use re-branded Puro Classics & I see people run them for 7K, 8K, 9K miles & their engines don't implode. Even saw a few ran for close to 15K due to family members who neglect oil changes. Hahaha They'll hold up to it I guess but they're not ideal.

Originally Posted By: Yup
I have a bit over 7200 miles on my oil change. NAPA synthetic 5w20 and a $1.99 QS filter. As per BITOG commentators, I'm highly anticipating the explosion my engine makes from such a cheap filter. I plan on changing after about 600 miles round trip this weekend. That'll put me just under 8k miles and 7 months.

Is there someone who could lose sleep over this for me? I'm sure I'm on borrowed time.
grin.gif

What's going to happen? Watch Egon @ 1:17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxEimC3HME

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would not worry about it a bit. Oil filters are nothing but rock catchers. The air filter is by far the important filter.

I just pulled another dead mouse out of my filter housing. Found the first one last oil change so have checked periodically. Sometimes none, 3 times 1! 3rd one in a few months. I park next to a field and the little guys must enjoy playing inside my air intake. Filter looked fine. A little fur won't trash the bearings. The mice were all intact anyway. Just not breathing. Another reason to wear rubber gloves when you work on your car. And my air filter is a Wix. So nobody should have any negative comments about that...please stick to only negativity about the oil filter.

Not me. I found out from this forum that filters filter better as the crud collects on them and clogs them up a little. Up to a point of course.

No doubt a physical failure is always a possibility, but that's really the consequence of installing a defective one. What are the chances of that? Not high, but every time you install a new one it's a new lottery ticket isn't it?

Let's talk about something important instead. Are you going to change the oil before or after the trip?

The often overlooked answer of course, is that you change it at the halfway point.

Dave, reminds me of a Sears riding lawnmower when I was a kid. It was 32 years old and still purred like a kitten. No oil filter on the engine, did a "tune up" once a year (oil change, air filter foam wash, put back in coated in a little oil). We'd throw whatever oil we had into it, usually 5W30 or 10W30 even though it called for straight 30. Never used a drop. Used it to mow 4 acres once or twice per week from May 1st - October 1st. How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Not me. I found out from this forum that filters filter better as the crud collects on them and clogs them up a little. Up to a point of course.

No doubt a physical failure is always a possibility, but that's really the consequence of installing a defective one. What are the chances of that? Not high, but every time you install a new one it's a new lottery ticket isn't it?

Let's talk about something important instead. Are you going to change the oil before or after the trip?

The often overlooked answer of course, is that you change it at the halfway point.

I'm changing after. Doing a commute back and forth the next few days of about 70 miles each way. Work stuff. All highway. Oil won't even know it's being used.

I'm with crazyoildude here. Sounds like you have easy access to NAPA so why not spend the extra $5 and use a NAPA Gold. I'm sure most here would agree it will go 7500 miles.

Yup said, "How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????"

By being well overbuilt in the first place.

I'm all for anything funny but a "you don't really need to filter your oil" thread? New ground for BITOG.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I would not worry about it a bit. Oil filters are nothing but rock catchers. The air filter is by far the important filter.

+1

Originally Posted By: Kira
Yup said, "How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????"

By being well overbuilt in the first place.

I'm all for anything funny but a "you don't really need to filter your oil" thread? New ground for BITOG.

How do you overbuild a motor to prevent oil particle related wear?

Originally Posted By: Yup
Dave, reminds me of a Sears riding lawnmower when I was a kid. It was 32 years old and still purred like a kitten. No oil filter on the engine, did a "tune up" once a year (oil change, air filter foam wash, put back in coated in a little oil). We'd throw whatever oil we had into it, usually 5W30 or 10W30 even though it called for straight 30. Never used a drop. Used it to mow 4 acres once or twice per week from May 1st - October 1st. How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????

Just like the cars are scrapped before the engine fails on a nothing but quick oil change filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back