Witnessed accident and driver running from scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He's doing 80 - 90 mph, passing several exits and not looking back. When I realize he isn't stopping, I take a few pictures of his vehicle and tags".
So you took a few pictures while following him at 80-90 miles an hour? So you were speeding and creating an additional hazard while playing cop?
All you would succeed at doing in my state is getting the truck driver a ticket since we have no- fault and the car drivers insurance would pay his damage regardless of who was to blame.

As others have said, you did the right thing. My wife runs the Victims Advocate in our county and one of the hardest things she has to do is convince people to testify. People are generally afraid to do this because their afraid of the repercussion it can have.

If you have to testify you can tell the DA you are concerned about the repercussion this could have, there are ways around them having to know you testified.

Good job! Hopefully the cops catch the [censored]...sadly, this is what our society has become, a bunch of scumbags who have no respect for the law or even other people...

Originally Posted By: bradepb
"He's doing 80 - 90 mph, passing several exits and not looking back. When I realize he isn't stopping, I take a few pictures of his vehicle and tags".
So you took a few pictures while following him at 80-90 miles an hour? So you were speeding and creating an additional hazard while playing cop?
All you would succeed at doing in my state is getting the truck driver a ticket since we have no- fault and the car drivers insurance would pay his damage regardless of who was to blame.

MI is still living in the stone age with that stupid no fault garbage? When are they gonna wise up and get rid of that type of insurance?

Originally Posted By: grampi

MI is still living in the stone age with that stupid no fault garbage? When are they gonna wise up and get rid of that type of insurance?

Never. They, and some other states, think it is some kind of great idea.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

It actually works pretty well. You can still get your deductible paid by the other driver if they are at fault. It seems crazy to go to court over every accident people have. You can still sue if there are injuries. The reason we pay dearly for insurance here is the unlimited lifetime medical coverage. There is a saying in Michigan, the best place to be injured is in your car.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

It actually works pretty well. You can still get your deductible paid by the other driver if they are at fault. It seems crazy to go to court over every accident people have. You can still sue if there are injuries. The reason we pay dearly for insurance here is the unlimited lifetime medical coverage. There is a saying in Michigan, the best place to be injured is in your car.

My sister is a State Farm agent and she absolutely hates no fault insurance...

Originally Posted By: Danno
Be prepared to be subpoenaed to court to testify against the F250 driver.
I witnessed a driver blow a red and take out 3 cars, lady driver with unbelted child in the van. And it was about -20F out, which really added to the PO factor. I was subpoenaed, and she was her own lawyer. She lost due to my testimony.
One of the driver's she hit stopped and thanked me after the verdict, otherwise it was her word that she had a green without a dissenting witness.
The thank you made it worth it.

Yes, that is exactly what will happen. A relative was in a similar position and had to go to court to testify. The hearing was postponed 3 times, each time my relative showed up at the hearing because he wasn't told of the delay. It turned into a real inconvenience, but the testimony did sink the guy.

I see a heck of a lot flat bed trailers pulled from pickups with some very shady methods of securing the loads. Just the other day I saw a pickup with a bed full of logs stacked above the edge of the truck bed rolling down the interstate at 70mph with absolutely no tie downs. I've also see junk auto parts the other day just sitting on the flat bed trailer with no rear gate. There was an engine, axle and some other large parts just sliding/rolling around. It's reckless. Are people that lazy or incompetent to secure things? Soon enough politicians will write draconian laws that affects the ones with common sense.

A number of years ago a driver had a lug nut impale them in the face through their windshield after if fell off a vehicle towing a wrecked car.

Think!

Good job ... idiots that don't how how to safely secure their loads are a huge danger to others on the road. Lucky nobody got killed over some moron's actions.

bradepb So you took a few pictures while following him at 80-90 miles an hour? So you were speeding and creating an additional hazard while playing cop? All you would succeed at doing in my state is getting the truck driver a ticket since we have no- fault and the car drivers insurance would pay his damage regardless of who was to blame. [/quote said:
Good post and I agree 100%. I dont think the original poster is trained to safely apprehend someone. This could of turned into a deadly accident.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I see a heck of a lot flat bed trailers pulled from pickups with some very shady methods of securing the loads. Just the other day I saw a pickup with a bed full of logs stacked above the edge of the truck bed rolling down the interstate at 70mph with absolutely no tie downs. I've also see junk auto parts the other day just sitting on the flat bed trailer with no rear gate. There was an engine, axle and some other large parts just sliding/rolling around. It's reckless. Are people that lazy or incompetent to secure things? Soon enough politicians will write draconian laws that affects the ones with common sense.

A number of years ago a driver had a lug nut impale them in the face through their windshield after if fell off a vehicle towing a wrecked car.

Think!

I would think the prosecutor could charge the driver of the suspect vehicle with negligent homicide if a fellow motorist or pedestrian was killed due to unsecured objects on those vehicles. I'd throw the book at them and hopefully witnesses like the OP would be able to testify. You should spend decades in prison for failing to secure objects on a vehicle if your negligence results in the death of others.

I don't think we need vigilantes that could potentially endanger others taking the law in their own hands. Vowel, "decades in prison" for letting some wood or objects fall out of a pick up truck??? I'd advise taking a criminology course at the local college to understand what "negligent homicide" really is.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I don't think we need vigilantes that could potentially endanger others taking the law in their own hands. Vowel, "decades in prison" for letting some wood or objects fall out of a pick up truck??? I'd advise taking a criminology course at the local college to understand what "negligent homicide" really is.

Kettle meet pot.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Kettle meet pot.

This guy endangered motorists to get a "good pic" of the license plate. And yet he gets kudos and compliments from the usual crowd. Law enforcement usually doesn't like this type of actions because they know that amateurs have no business being the real police.

It's interesting this happened. A similar situation happened to me the other day, but it wasnt a hit and run.

A guy was hauling what looked to be one of those large plastic outdoor yard cabinets in the bed of his truck. It flew right out about 200' in front of me, but took an immediate nose dive into the ditch.

I don't understand why people don't tie things down.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Kettle meet pot.

This guy endangered motorists
to get a "good pic" of the license plate. And yet he gets kudos and compliments from the usual crowd. Law enforcement usually doesn't like this type of actions because they know that amateurs have no business being the real police.

You admit to driving drunk on the roads ... you should take your own advice.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The hard part will be proving that the registered owner was at the wheel of that truck.

If he keeps his mouth shut, he can get away clean with the whole thing.

Nope.
He's either going to take the rap or give up whomever he lent his rig to.
No way around it.

Good job reporting this to the Police.
I also like to get involved. How else can you sleep at night.

Years ago my Father was driving on the Expressway coming home from work.
A pickup truck passes him and in the back the driver had a dining room table and chairs.
My Father see's the chairs flying out one by one and the driver never knew it.
I wonder how the driver explained to his Wife when she asked, "what happened to all the chairs ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back