new XG750R flat-tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
234 reads and only one reply, lol... the silence is deafening. Feel sorry for the Harley braintrust trying to move the brand forward when their customer base are stuck in the last century.

That aside, the new XG looks great on paper (very aesthetically pleasing too) and should help to secure victories on the dirt ovals for years to come (something the antiquated XR air-cooled pushrod tech could not be counted on to do without some major bias in the rules).

The XR750 has dominated in flattrack for several decades (with a little help....) and yet this success is ignored by both the factory and their customer base. The only HD I'd ever want is the XR1000, developed by Scott Parker, like, it's got to be good! But no one wants a Harley that can stop and go around corners, so it's dropped.

I'm a long way from the action, but have followed Flattrack since On Any Sunday...and have even dabbled my self. loving the new bikes coming to to knock the XR off it's pedestal.

The XR750 is likely as tweaked and evolved an engine as one can find. It has done its job, and done it well, over the years, but technology marches on and a new breed of contenders is starting to really turn on the heat (much as the RS750 did back in the day, before Honda pulled the plug). I think it's great that H-D has the good sense to develop a new steed. A modern-day XR1000 based on this platform would be a lot of fun
smile.gif

In finishing, I find the resistance to the march of technology by some to be quite humourous (*cough* V-Rod *cough*, lol)... Ever-tightening govt. regs (noise and emissions) will eventually do away with the old tech air-cooled OHV twins... wonder what they'll ride then? Oh well, their problem I guess...

I like the simplicity of an air cooled bike. The H-D has all the power I need on the street once it's opened up a little bit with Stage One modification. They have a nice ride and handle ok unless you're the type who likes to use the public roads as a race course. Old cars are popular too for the same reason. The styling is classic and mechanically less complex. They still get the job done. Harley must be doing something right as they still outsell the Japanese bikes in their category and most all the other cruisers are made to look like H-D Of course being American made helps as much as anything.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I like the simplicity of an air cooled bike. The H-D has all the power I need on the street once it's opened up a little bit with Stage One modification. They have a nice ride and handle ok unless you're the type who likes to use the public roads as a race course. Old cars are popular too for the same reason. The styling is classic and mechanically less complex. They still get the job done. Harley must be doing something right as they still outsell the Japanese bikes in their category and most all the other cruisers are made to look like H-D Of course being American made helps as much as anything.

Someone who wants to lean farther than what, 25 or 30 degrees, is using the road as a race course?

You have a point. There are some things that can be done, but a heavy cruiser is not the best handling bike out there to say the least. Too many people lower a Harley to look cool, but that greatly reduces the lean angle. I have dragged the pegs a couple of times, but that was only because I went into the turn too fast and dragged once the suspension squatted a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back