Looking for a HM additive (1/2 qt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Again folks, there is no such thing as an HM additive.

If you aren't going to contribute to the topic, please don't clutter the thread. Thanks. Either provide advice on additive requested or move on. Have a good one.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

If you aren't going to contribute to the topic, please don't clutter the thread. Thanks. Either provide advice on additive requested or move on. Have a good one.

lol.gif

Don't tell me to buzz off because I develop and formulate lubricants and there is no such thing as an HM additive.

None of the products mentioned are HM OTC additives because there is no-such-product. A commercially formulated HM oil uses a commercial additive package with a few component tweaks.

Now, if you want an engine cleaner to clean up a sludged engine, products such as the Rislone Engine Treatment will do that, but it should be used as a flush.

http://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment/

There is no product that will repair a damaged or severely worn seal; it just isn't physically or chemically possible to do that.

Last edited:

lol.gif

Don't tell me to buzz off because I develop and formulate lubricants and there is no such thing as an HM additive.

None of the products mentioned are HM OTC additives because there is no-such-product. A commercially formulated HM oil uses a commercial additive package with a few component tweaks.

Now, if you want an engine cleaner to clean up a sludged engine, products such as the Rislone Engine Treatment will do that, but it should be used as a flush.

There is no product that will repair a damaged or severely worn seal; it just isn't physically or chemically possible to do that.

Never go full retard..... HM oils have higher additive levels. As a "formulator" such as yourself, you know this. This thread is clearly about making cheapo oil into a more robust higher mileage type brew.

Nobody said anything about fixing a damaged seal. Where do you come up with this [censored]?

Go be a **** elsewhere, please.

Last edited:

lol.gif

Never go full retard..... HM oils have higher additive levels. As a "formulator" such as yourself, you know this. This thread is clearly about making cheapo oil into a more robust higher mileage type brew.

Nobody said anything about fixing a damaged seal. Where do you come up with this [censored]?

Go be a **** elsewhere, please.

Please tell us what enhanced additive levels or chemical compounds are in HM oils since you appear to be an expert and have analyzed such oils with high cost instrumentation.

And as soon as you realize there is no such thing as an OTC additive that will turn any oil into an HM oil then you might become educated on engine oils and not be so ignorant. I.E., there is no conversion fluid/additive that will turn an oil into an HM oil.

Engine cleaners and flushes, they are out there but there is no such thing as an additive that will turn an oil into an HM oil. And if an engine cleaner is what you were looking for, then you should have stated that in your original post.

Last edited:

The whole idea of self-formulating PCMO is just silly no matter what.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

If you really need an HM additive because of worn oil seals that are too expensive to repair or you have worn bearings, then why not use a high mileage oil.

I don't need it. I want to clean up an old engine with free oil. I'm not buying HM oil.

He wants an HM additive (which doesn't exist) in order to convert a non-HM oil into an HM oil but he doesn't want to use an HM oil.
confused2.gif

Does this contradictory statement make sense to any clear thinking individual?

Originally Posted By: Badatt

This was free info in case you were also confused about seal conditions, seal conditioners, and seal swellers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

The whole idea of self-formulating PCMO is just silly no matter what.

I agree but I got free oil I want to use up and feel like doing some testing.

It isn't contradictory at all if you read the dang thread. I have free cheapo oil that I want to use up and I'd like to juice up the add pack to make it more in line with a HM oil. I'm not buying any new oil.

Please tell us what enhanced additive levels or chemical compounds are in HM oils since you appear to be an expert and have analyzed such oils with high cost instrumentation.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide-2016.pdf

It isn't contradictory at all if you read the dang thread. I have free cheapo oil that I want to use up and I'd like to juice up the add pack to make it more in line with a HM oil. I'm not buying any new oil.

I have read the whole thread three times and if an OTC HM conversion additive DOES NOT EXIST then there is no way you can make an HM oil from a non-HM oil, free or not.

The pdf you gave is just an application chart and doesn't tell us anything about the constituents in an HM oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
He wants an HM additive (which doesn't exist) in order to convert a non-HM oil into an HM oil but he doesn't want to use an HM oil.
confused2.gif

Stated another way, if such an HM additive did exist (which it doesn't), and you were successful into converting it, would it not now be an HM oil?

Last edited:

I may have misread a previous post, or there's a typo here. I thought this product wasn't specifically used as a flush?

Originally Posted By: Garak

I may have misread a previous post, or there's a typo here. I thought this product wasn't specifically used as a flush?

It is advertised as an engine additive to be added to your regular motor oil for cleaning.

The part about the flush is simply my opinion.

It is just my opinion that any powerful cleaner should be used "as a flush," that is, added to the oil, engine run up to operating temperature, and then the whole mix is drained, and new oil added.

As far as I can determine, there is no harm running it with your regular oil except it may thin it somewhat if you're running a 5W30 or above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

It is advertised as an engine additive to be added to your regular motor oil for cleaning.

The part about the flush is simply my opinion.

It is just my opinion that any powerful cleaner should be used "as a flush," that is, added to the oil, engine run up to operating temperature, and then the whole mix is drained, and new oil added.

As far as I can determine, there is no harm running it with your regular oil except it may thin it somewhat if you're running a 5W30 or above.

Agreed that it should be used as a flush. I used it with PHM 10w40 in my 4.0 for 3000 mile oci.

So you could say at most a "shorter" OCI cleaner and not necessarily an "idle" flush? Is it really aggressive enough compared to thinner/more volatile idle flush?

I've used Amsoil, Liqui Moly Pro Line, and may soon try Lubegard's Engine Flush.

So, if people have anecdotally "gotten away" with say 3oz to crankcase and driven for 50-100 miles under light load and then drain of said "idle flush"; why use Rislone's seemingly designed to run during an OCI without any form of load or duty cycles?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
So you could say at most a "shorter" OCI cleaner and not necessarily an "idle" flush? Is it really aggressive enough compared to thinner/more volatile idle flush?

I've used Amsoil, Liqui Moly Pro Line, and may soon try Lubegard's Engine Flush.

So, if people have anecdotally "gotten away" with say 3oz to crankcase and driven for 50-100 miles under light load and then drain of said "idle flush"; why use Rislone's seemingly designed to run during an OCI without any form of load or duty cycles?

Drive around flush additives interfere directly with the lubricating propertiesof the oil and if they are used for a badly sludged engine can cause the oil filter to block. Flush additives designed for use at idle are far safer.
Liqui Moly do make a drive around flush and their TDS has a specific warning that in a bad case the oil pump intake should be cleaned first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Buy Maxlife life oil... Adding a supplement is fine but not any different then using a good quality HM oil. Even try PYB HM, its a really good oil that cleans well.

Please read the OP. I'm not looking to buy oil. I have free oil I'm trying to use up but was looking for something to boost the additive package a bit that was oriented towards higher mileage without swellers.

I am not soliciting advice for a HM oil.

liqui moly motor oil saver is as good as it gets... I think this thread has gone on long enough.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite, "MotorMud". This old standby has remained true to the original formulation established in 1951 at the research division of Hughes Aviation. Use of this package in a fleet of 1952 Dodge Police Pursuit vehicles allowed Dodge to offer a Lifetime Warranty on the power train. Abuse was rampant with NYC officers. Air filters were removed, carburetors were set up extremely rich, a 20% ratio by weight of kerosene comprised the fuel mixture. Even with this amount of abuse, tear downs at 385,000 and 750,000 miles showed no measurable wear on bearings, pistons or parts that wiggle. A "self formed" windage tray made from MotorMud was observed in the oil pan! Truly amazing, speed parts created from a OTC product in a bottle. Unfortunately, very little hard copy documentation is left. The United States Air Force confiscated all documents. There were rumors of extraterrestrial connections with the proprietary ingredients. (It used special water that had no Hydrogen component) A well known California Private Detective was found dead at a hourly motel in 1953. He had the matching half of the torn MDS sheet, linking the ingredients to the Milky Way. It was said that if you cold started and floored the accelerator, a voice in the mufflers would say... "Klaatu barada nikto to all".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back