'88 Caddy Brougham 307 c.u. oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for an oil filter for my car, I only drive the car in the summer, so I change the oil only once a year. Is there any recommendation for oil filter here in Ontario better than Fram.

Your advice is highly appreciated.

I used to dislike Fram, but after reading BITOG I think it's a fine filter. Even the orange can.

I used to use Carquest filters in my anti-Fram days.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Is that a Fram Ultra that you are referring to?

Wix is good as well (Napa gold).

No the orange one

Originally Posted By: momo
Originally Posted By: JC1
Is that a Fram Ultra that you are referring to?

Wix is good as well (Napa gold).

No the orange one

Personally I'd use a Fram tough guard if not using a Fram Ultra. You probably could go two years with your OCI.

Last edited:
You can likely change the 1 qt filter for a 2 qt unit. Your local Napa Auto (or Canadian equivalent) will be able to cross reference your standard filter to an oversized. I'd run Napa Gold for a few $$ more, but once you have the number, you can get the same oversized in Farm, etc.

The reason for this is to add a bit of total capacity, double the filter media area so it flows real well when cool/cold, and to catch any age related sludgey bits moving around the system.

For oil I'd likely run a good syn-blend 10W-20 for a while (maybe 3 changes) and keep an eye out for leaks, weeps, seeps ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You can likely change the 1 qt filter for a 2 qt unit. Your local Napa Auto (or Canadian equivalent) will be able to cross reference your standard filter to an oversized. I'd run Napa Gold for a few $$ more, but once you have the number, you can get the same oversized in Farm, etc.

The reason for this is to add a bit of total capacity, double the filter media area so it flows real well when cool/cold, and to catch any age related sludgey bits moving around the system.

For oil I'd likely run a good syn-blend 10W-20 for a while (maybe 3 changes) and keep an eye out for leaks, weeps, seeps ...

I would worry running synthetic oil in these engines since synthetic wasn't popular during that era

I used full synthetic oil on my 1980's 307's, a 300k mile 305, and a 76 olds 350 among many other engines of this era. I never had an oil issue caused by synthetic. It doesn't need synthetic, but it won't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back