Milk intolerance question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that I can drink dry powdered non-fat milk re-constituted in a glass of water with zero intolerance, but real skim milk or 2% causes intolerance symptoms?

What could the dry powdering process be doing to it that makes it tolerable?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why is it that I can drink dry powdered non-fat milk re-constituted in a glass of water with zero intolerance, but real skim milk or 2% causes intolerance symptoms?

May have something to do with the difference of enzymes between dry and liquid.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

May have something to do with the difference of enzymes between dry and liquid.
I too am lactose intolerant-and I find prepared things like process cheese doesn't affect me. But milk, yogurt-that kind of stuff does.

Lactose takes something like 24 hours to dissolve from powder to "milk" so they use other sugars.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
,,,,allergic to milk ....

It's important to note that lactose intolerance is not milk allergy. It is the inability to break down lactose (a type of sugar) into its two components. That results in it not being absorbed - so it goes on through the gut where bacteria feast on it causing the well known symptoms of gas, bloating and diarrhea.

One bit of consolation - lactose intolerance is actually more common than lactose tolerance on a world-wide basis.

I heard rumors if you filter the milk through a Fram Ultra before you drink it you'll filter the lactose out...

Originally Posted By: Yup
I heard rumors if you filter the milk through a Fram Ultra before you drink it you'll filter the lactose out...

Haha!
And he's only been here a year? I'm impressed with his spot on humor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back