2010 Hyundai Elantra H/B...oil requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grandaughter.... just purchased the above vehicle....an automatic with 47K on the OD. Paid $9400. Will be driving it down to SoCal (850 miles one way) for college, from Central Oregon, and come home during holidays and summer.

Seeking BITOG'er who have or know about this vehicle.... and opinions both positive and negative.

Also need the recommended oil, filter and ATF needed. (as there is no manual).
Any info you can supply, would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Hyundai's typically spec for 5w20 but manuals quickly allow for 5w30 and 10w30 depending on use. I'd use a good 5w30 in it myself, Magnatec would be a really good choice but there are MANY.

You should easily be able to pick up a manual on ebay.

Engine - go with Mobil 1 0w40 or 0w30, will not regret for sure, use year round. Best if matched to an OEM filter, as Huyndais seem to be pretty picky about oil filters.
Transmission - Castrol Full synthetic import, or Valvoline Maxlife ATF, I believe both meet the SP-III fluid requirement.

I think a 5W-30 would be a good choice for the engine. Amsoil's website has a feature that will show you all the recommended fluids, specs & even some torque specifications for your vehicle. You should check it out since you don't have an owners manual.

I prefer the Hyundai OEM Oil Filters. I get them from my local dealer for six dollars and some change after tax. May could get cheaper in bulk but I have not asked. Can order via Ebay for close to $4 each in packs of six or more. I would use a quality 5w-30 oil. If looking for value (I know that is subjective) Napa Syn is on sale for $2.99 a quart thru May I believe and QSUD is priced well at Wal-Mart. Your manual would indicate 5w-20 preferred for fuel economy and 5w/30 (for all temps) and 10w-30 (For above 0 degrees)acceptable or something to that effect.

ATF - I believe the spec for yours is SP III. For that spec I have used ENEOS SP (can usually find at Napa) and Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle. Both seemed to work well in a SP III spec'd 2010 Hyundai Accent.

Antifreeze - I have used Zerex Asian Forumula in a 2010 Hyundai Accent and 2012 Kia Rio with no problems.

QSGB, PP or QSUD 5w30 as we have 5 at work and they are fine on conventional 5w30 and even M1 as my boss' car demonstrated with the M1 filter I cut

Thanks everyone for your oil and ATF suggestions. I figured a 5w20 or 30 would be suitable for this Elantra.

Using a 5w30 Syn....what would be a reasonable OCI?

Also...what Fram ULTRA or Tough Guard filter (#) does this vehicle take?

Most of the Hyundai/KIA's take the Fram 9688 size if it is a spin on canister set up. Despite all of the fear of anything non OEM for these cars they work extremely well in my experience and are available just about everywhere.

Original manual calls for 60k timing belt replacement.
Online Hyundai calls for 90k belt replacement.
I'm not sure which is correct.

If you have the original 6-7 year old belt I would consider replacement before she leaves for College. However the Elantra not the timing belt eating machine the Accent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back