New used tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Used tires? No thanks.

Why not used tires? You have no problem buying used vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Putting a stranger's tires on your car like putting on someone else's used condom..sorry, I just don't see the benefit to the risk, a tire is a wear item that unfortunately doesn't always show what's worn.

Not REally.. It should be on a case by case basis... I have gotten GREAT deals on takeoffs or tires off of cars set up by dealers (they want all 4 to MATCH most often ) or other means and have had great service on these tires with no weird issues.
Yes, you need to be someone that can evaluate them for tread depth/weather checking/ etc and know whom you are buying from. It is no different than if you would buy BRAND NEW tires and get a nail in one of them 10 miles out from installation. Usually they can be repaired properly/safely - but doesn't make them COMPLETE JUNK ( one or the set ) from brand new because of this in most people's world.
The value can be very good for someone who is knowledgeable and informed....

My mom's Buick Rendezvous has run nothing but used tires for the last 70k miles. Never a problem unless they go bald from usage. Her Focus had used tires too, no issues.

The tires on everybody's cars are used. All of yours.

I think it might depend on if you have a reputable seller in your area that doesn't have a couple used tires in the back room but either specializes in them or is a big part of their business.

There is a place near me that specializes in name brand, "almost new" tires and they typically have 250+ tires in stock that have 80% of their tread or more. They've been in business for over 30 years. It's the luck of the draw if you find your size and a tire(s) that you'd want but all the tires are quality for around 50% of new.

I bought a pair of newish Conti ProContacts for a VW I was selling for $113 mounted and balanced OTD. If you have that kind of outlet available to you, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

I understand caution around used tires, but not an outright rejection.

Unless you buy only new cars, many cars you've purchased have used tires on them.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I would wonder why these tires were available so cheaply (problem the previous owner did not want to deal with/balancing/vibration?)... as long as there are no problems with the used tires.
I replaced them and the very next day we embarked on a three day trip into central and west TX. Roughly 1000 miles round trip. Drove steady 80-85 MPH loaded with 6 passengers and luggage. Tires preformed perfectly, any problem would have definitely shown by now. I am happy.
I was thinking long term as I am **assuming** there is no warranty, but then again, I suppose that is the balance of cost reduction versus risk.

I've done well with used tires in crummy passenger commodity sizes like 195/65/15. I drive 10-15 year old economy cars and these same cars are getting junked due to rust, so I get their tires at the junkyard.

If I had something that took expensive tires, like a bro-truck, every bro out there would hold on to his stuff and demand top used dollar.

That said, my junkyard is "up to $20" now (making a great deal just good), CL is even worse, and I'm just now getting my third brand new set from DTD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back