Hyundai and Kia Coolant Part Interchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe and it's due for its first coolant change. I've noticed that with many OEM parts, the exact part number can be provided to the Kia dealer and it ends up costing less vs a Hyundai dealer.

The manual only describes the coolant requirements generically as "ethylene glycol based", however, I would be more comfortable sticking with OEM only due to how much variance there is in coolant chemistry by different makes. I am assuming Hyundai does not use any special super long life formulation because the first change is recommended at 5 years (100,000kms), and subsequent changes every 2 year (50,000 kms).

So my question is, are there different coolant types to pay attention to at the Hyundai dealer that is a direct OEM replacement? Does anyone know if the exact substitute can be obtained from the Kia dealer instead? Preferably a concentrate, but I'm not sure if many OEMs offer that anymore.

Any information would be great. Thanks!

I would think its the same. I went to my kia dealer last week to get oem coolant for my sorento paid $16 for a gal. Its a silver jug and says "longlife" in big red letters on it. Im not sure the exact capacity my sorento takes but i just used distilled water for the rest.

Originally Posted By: nobb
I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe and it's due for its first coolant change. I've noticed that with many OEM parts, the exact part number can be provided to the Kia dealer and it ends up costing less vs a Hyundai dealer.

The manual only describes the coolant requirements generically as "ethylene glycol based", however, I would be more comfortable sticking with OEM only due to how much variance there is in coolant chemistry by different makes. I am assuming Hyundai does not use any special super long life formulation because the first change is recommended at 5 years (100,000kms), and subsequent changes every 2 year (50,000 kms).

So my question is, are there different coolant types to pay attention to at the Hyundai dealer that is a direct OEM replacement? Does anyone know if the exact substitute can be obtained from the Kia dealer instead? Preferably a concentrate, but I'm not sure if many OEMs offer that anymore.

Any information would be great. Thanks!

Any P-HOAT coolant will work, regardless of color. Zerex Asian formula (also known as Valvoline with Zerex Technology at WalMart) is the exact aftermarket equivalent. Also Motorcraft Specialty Green and Mazda FL22 are the same formulation as what Kia/Hyundai/Mitsubishi uses.

I use Zerex Asian in my Kia, which calls for the same vague "ethylene glycol based coolant for aluminum radiators". I also use it in my Ford which calls for Specialty Green. Works great in both.

I use the cheap green coolant in my Gen coupe. I believe the OEM stuff is good for 60k miles/6 years but then they say every 25k miles/ 24 months.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
...Any P-HOAT coolant will work, regardless of color...

This.

Kia/Hyundai would both be the same AF. Pep Boys has an OEM brand Asian PHOAT in different tints that comes in full strength. It's the Long(er) Life type like ZAF, but ZAF only comes as premix. The PB OEM brand is made by Recochem in Canada. If no PB in Canada perhaps an equivalent PHOAT made by Recochem there.

But as noted any PHOAT will work fine.

And owners manual AF recommendations from many/most manufacturers tend to be very vague on specs.

I asked the parts guy at my local Hyundai this very same question. He said any of the universal antifreezes changed IAW the interval specified in your manual is fine.

Certainly welcome to follow the parts guy's recommendation, but in this case I wouldn't. Most all the universals sold at parts stores and WM are dexclones containing 2eha which the Asian vehicle manufacturers eschew use of and thus are not included in Asian PHOAT AFs.

Only universal 'type' AF I would consider for an Asian vehicle would be Peak Global Lifetime. Does not contain 2eha and is a long life interval OAT AF. Have had it in my Tacoma for several years now and looking good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back