Why you need a dash cam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spend all day mowing 60 miles away in farm country.. 1 block from home this PYLON almost sideswipes me. I hit the horn and he continues over.. then gives me the "thanks for letting me in bro wave" by the rearview mirror.

5 Min before this almost got tagged by a mint vette that was texting.. weaving like a drunk driver.

I left about a minute of footage in so you could see the image quality in this 40$ G1W Dash Cam.

raw footage is better than this compressed youtube.

Why you should have a dash cam.. so that when PYLON happens to you.. its not your word against theirs.

Also notice total lack of blinker.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Good quality video. Any video of the vette?

It takes about 15min to upload then 20min to process and 20min to edit.

only thing I had on video was him falling asleep at a light texting .. rest was when he was behind me.

I really need a rear dash cam too...

Here is a still image
vette.jpg

Had a car run a red light in front of me a few years back .. I caught the back end of the car trying to avoid the accident.
Their insurance tried to blame me. I got a dash cam shortly after.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Had a car run a red light in front of me a few years back .. I caught the back end of the car trying to avoid the accident.
Their insurance tried to blame me. I got a dash cam shortly after.

Is Texas a state where an impact from the rear is an automatic at-fault to the person that drove into the back?

I'm with you. I'm glad you didn't get hit/hurt.

FYI: You were legal...you did pull into the left lane...you did hang for a wee bit of time in his blind spot.

Don't get all "on me"...he was a fool but defensive driving requires that we treat every driver like a stooge(which he was) but you did dwell in the imbecile's blind spot for someone who "took to the left lane like a champ".

OK, you can yell now. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm with you. I'm glad you didn't get hit/hurt.

FYI: You were legal...you did pull into the left lane...you did hang for a wee bit of time in his blind spot.

Don't get all "on me"...he was a fool but defensive driving requires that we treat every driver like a stooge(which he was) but you did dwell in the imbecile's blind spot for someone who "took to the left lane like a champ".

OK, you can yell now. Kira

Not quite I was overtaking at about 5mph. My house is 500ft ahead on left. He then sped up when I got near his blind spot. Probably because he was overtaking the guy doing ~30mph in front of him.

Never looked or signaled. I hit the horn the min he started coming over. it was right next to his window.. still came over. If someone honks at your door level you continue to change lanes??

The dash cam is wide angle my front wheel was easily at his back door.

I have had 1 accident in last 10 years.. I was rear-ended by texter. You have to keep your eyes open.. just keeps getting worse.

You were hanging out in the other driver's blind spot. I really good driver doesn't put themselves into that position to begin with-either go around the other vehicle or stay far enough behind so that can't happen. You were not managing the space around your vehicle very well, especially as sparse as traffic was. A good driver expects the unexpected and plans for it.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Why you need a dash cam

After being accident free for the last 55 years or so, I don't think I need a dash cam.

estore009 on ebay

They are legit.. amazon has fake ones that suck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bezel-Capa...=item1eadf97581

That is the best version.. blacked out lense (no chrome so less noticeable) and capacitor so battery wont blow up in your 180F texas car heat.

I paid 41$.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You were hanging out in the other driver's blind spot. I really good driver doesn't put themselves into that position to begin with-either go around the other vehicle or stay far enough behind so that can't happen. You were not managing the space around your vehicle very well, especially as sparse as traffic was. A good driver expects the unexpected and plans for it.

Why you need a dash cam

After being accident free for the last 55 years or so, I don't think I need a dash cam.

of course you don't I wouldnt expect you to need one.

OTOH my Recently deceased Grandma was accident free for 70 years.. then got hit twice by texting idiots in 2 months.

One thing to consider about dash cams is they can also incriminate you if you are the one that makes the error while driving. Even in this thread we've already seen people interpret the video in different ways.

I've had my Dash Cam for about 4 years now.
No accidents to show, but I'm glad I have it.

Problem: Mine is fastened to the windshield with a suction cup.
If that suction cup ever failed, my $200 camera would hit the floor.
Suggestion: I took a cable-tie and connected the camera bracket to rear view mirror.
Now when the suction cup looses its grip, the camera will just hang by the cable-tie.
Happened twice so far. Camera was saved.

Mine also has the Capacitor instead of battery. Nice feature.

If anyone is going to purchase a dash cam, it's confusing because none of the major camera co. make them. So you never really know about the quality.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
One thing to consider about dash cams is they can also incriminate you if you are the one that makes the error while driving.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I drive more carefully since I installed my dashcams, because I know I'm recording what I do as well as what other drivers do.

The amazing thing is that tailgaters will still behave like idiots when there's a camera pointing out the back of my car right at them. I guess if they were attentive enough to notice the camera, they wouldn't be tailgating in the first place.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
If anyone is going to purchase a dash cam, it's confusing because none of the major camera co. make them. So you never really know about the quality.

Honestly, I'm amazed they're not offered as an option on new cars. I'd pay $1,000 for preinstalled 360 coverage with a central recorder.

I just bought three dash cams from Amazon. Inexpensive models but rated very well for the price.

Just getting sick and tired of jerk-offs.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I just bought three dash cams from Amazon. Inexpensive models but rated very well for the price.

be careful they arent counterfeit..

tons of fake G1W(and others) on amazon.. different chip.. bad video quality etc

Originally Posted By: andrewg

be careful they arent counterfeit..

tons of fake G1W(and others) on amazon.. different chip.. bad video quality etc

+1

Amazon doesn't always do a good job of distinguishing among similar items from different affiliate sellers, and some of those sellers aren't entirely honest about the products they sell. The G1Wx models top a lot of bang-for-the-buck lists. I don't need anything fancy, but I do want something that's going to do the job.

The forums at dashcamtalk.com have a list of sellers on eBay and Amazon that sell the genuine article, and a list of sellers that do not. It doesn't list every seller, but is a good place to start. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/the-g1w-sellers-listing.7619/

The seller you bought from is on their approved list, and this thread reminded me that I've wanted to get one for peace of mind on my new longer commute. Got notice today that it shipped; just need to wait for it to get here from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back