Performance exhaust question

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking to replace the dual exhaust on my 86 Grand National with either a Pypes system (SGG50R)for around $350 vs a system from Magnaflow (16884)for around $650. Magnaflow is still made in the USA but I am not sure if its worth the cost if both units perform the same. Anyone have experience with either?

Never heard of Pypes, but I always gravitate towards the sound of Magnaflow systems. They sound throaty and authoritative without the cheap higher pitched rattle that some cheap systems create.

I put a cheap turbo-back exhaust on my old 98.5 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel, and at idle it sounded like it was [censored], ie "passing gas" all the time. I hated it. I've got an Aeroturbine muffler on the stock exhaust system on my current 2006 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9 and it sounds very good.

Cheap isn't always inexpensive.

My 95 has a Magnaflow catback and it sounded good before I put the car down for a few years. I generally prefer Borla, but they don't make exhaust for every applications.

Magnaflow mufflers have packing material that lasts longer than standard packing but the sound still changes over time. For American muscle you may want to consider Flowmaster. A custom Flowmaster system on American muscle cars has a sweet tune that's hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Magnaflow mufflers have packing material that lasts longer than standard packing but the sound still changes over time. For American muscle you may want to consider Flowmaster. A custom Flowmaster system on American muscle cars has a sweet tune that's hard to beat.

Personal opinion, I will never use Flowmaster. I hate that sound, every car I hear with them sounds the same.

While I don't have any personal experience with pypes, I have read that some of their stuff has fitment issues and for that price, I doubt it's stainless.

Magnaflow does have some nice stuff and I recently helped a friend put a stainless Magnaflow cat-back on his 2011 Ford Raptor. It sounds very good. One of his prior chevy trucks also had a Magnaflow system on it.

I will also second bdcardinal's recommendation of Borla. I currently have a Borla cat-back on my 98 chevy ext-cab Z71 and it sounds very good. It's been on the truck since about 2001 and still in great shape.

I also had a 2004 Monte Carlo SS with a Borla cat-back on it. The sound wasn't the greatest but the quality of the system was very nice.

Of your two choices you mentioned, I would go with Magnaflow.

Wayne

+1
smile.gif

I've had great experiences with Magnaflow and Dynomax. Magnaflow in my opinion has the best sound. Nice clean deep rumble without being obnoxious. Dynomax has also been great but the aluminized construction isn't as robust as the stainless magnaflow.

I hate Flowmasters. They don't flow very well at all, the baffles inside often rust and the tack welds break loose making them rattle. Not to mention the whole case of the muffler seems to rust very fast. I have never heard of Pypes.

^This.

The best exhaust, of course, would be a straight tube from the cat back, chuck the resonator. If you're taking the thing apart anyways, before you commit, try and see how it sounds.

Originally Posted By: Noey

^This.

The best exhaust, of course, would be a straight tube from the cat back, chuck the resonator. If you're taking the thing apart anyways, before you commit, try and see how it sounds.
There's a good chance that would end up sounding like an old school bus. Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Which one is stainless?

Both are but they are different grades.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I don't think you want a generic exhaust on an 86 GN. Plus I thought you had a T-Type?

I have a T Type but many did not understand its the same as a GN except its not black!

I don't think you want a generic exhaust on an 86 GN. Plus I thought you had a T-Type?

Yes I do but many do not understand that its the same as a GN but not Black. Therefore I have found it easier to use the term GN when asking questions. Any true dual exhaust on a GN would be generic.

I had a Magnaflow system on my 71 Buick and I was not that impressed with the sound. Every turbo site I have visited talks about Pypes for the value and I cannot not find anyone who has used Magnaflow even though I believe they are constructed better. I would hate to spend the extra $ and not have the sound I am looking for.

Originally Posted By: 007

I have a T Type but many did not understand its the same as a GN except its not black!

And cheaper to buy

Originally Posted By: 007
Plus I thought you had a T-Type?

My neighbor has an 87 T-Type that's black so I thought it was a GN. The seats are different I think. Very few differences other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back