I have have put a lot of thought into this oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a new 2016 Focus. 2.0L GDI. I know GDI's mean two things, fuel dilution and deposits. So I went looking for a very thick 5w-20 that also tests well in the TEOST.

I settled on Castrol Edge EP (Gold Bottle). 100* Cst is 8.9, higher then PUP or Synpower. It also scored the best in Amsoil's 2013 TEOST test. I will be following the IOLM with a maximum of 1 year or 10k miles. I am going to test 3 filters for gas mileage, RP, Purolator Boss and the Purolator One. Which ever gives me the best mpg's will win. Thoughts?

Also, my top off oil will be GTX Magnatec 5w-20. Its Cst is 9.1

Originally Posted By: Mathew_Boss
I am going to test 3 filters for gas mileage, RP, Purolator Boss and the Purolator One. Which ever gives me the best mpg's will win. Thoughts?

My thought is that its an engineering impossibility for an oil filter that its functioning correctly to produce a measurable effect on fuel economy. And probably even a plugged filter that goes into full bypass wouldn't produce any measurable effect, to be honest. That little bit of higher oil pump load is way down in the noise.

Castrol is a fine oil...

I (personally) will never use it as it is a BP product. See: Gulf of Mexico/Deepwater Horizon.

As for the oil filter, Purolator has had several years of producing a sub-standard filter that tear open (thus nicknamed "tearolators". Motorcraft is still a Purolator product but they have been a little better, but can still tear. WIX or even Fram are better choices. Champs are fine too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I (personally) will never use it as it is a BP product. See: Gulf of Mexico/Deepwater Horizon.

And which major oil company has not had some kind of a spill disaster in its past?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I am going to test 3 filters for gas mileage, RP, Purolator Boss and the Purolator One. Which ever gives me the best mpg's will win. Thoughts?
My thought is that its an engineering impossibility for an oil filter that its functioning correctly to produce a measurable effect on fuel economy. And probably even a plugged filter that goes into full bypass wouldn't produce any measurable effect, to be honest. That little bit of higher oil pump load is way down in the noise.
01.gif
You would need a controlled testing environment and highly calibrated equipment to even begin to test and see any differences--in essence your right foot and tire pressure will have more of an impact on MPG than any oil filter. Castrol Edge is decent oil, though I fight with myself sometimes over it and M1. M1 typically wins.

I concur.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

And which major oil company has not had some kind of a spill disaster in its past?

Truth

I think your oil choice is fine...

I also understand the sentiment about BP as it's not about if they're the typical oil company that's involved in a spill, etc., it's about how hard it was for their corporate culture to make things right after cost-cutting and not inspecting created this mega spill. Their CEO was a piece of human sh** as far as I'm concerned and if I lived on the Gulf Coast I'd likely feel the same way.

How will you isolate the effect of the oil filter in everyday driving? You will have to control wind speed, wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure, vehicle speed, vehicle load (both from topography and from accessory loads), driver effects (temperament, mood, etc.), fuel energy density (a real problem unless you buy standardized test fuel), temperature, other drivers (how they influence your trip), time of day (sun loading on vehicle temperature), aerodynamic cleanliness of the vehicle, and anything else I forgot. Then you would have to drive the vehicle on the exact same route (same number of left and right turns, etc.)

Even if you did all that I still don't think you would be isolating the single variable of an oil filter. After all, this will be a relatively small effect so you need to reduce the variability (noise) in your experiment to a very small level to have a statistically relevant value for the one variable you are looking to measure.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How will you isolate the effect of the oil filter in everyday driving? You will have to control wind speed, wind direction, humidity, barometric pressure, vehicle speed, vehicle load (both from topography and from accessory loads), driver effects (temperament, mood, etc.), fuel energy density (a real problem unless you buy standardized test fuel), temperature, other drivers (how they influence your trip), time of day (sun loading on vehicle temperature), aerodynamic cleanliness of the vehicle, and anything else I forgot. Then you would have to drive the vehicle on the exact same route (same number of left and right turns, etc.)

Even if you did all that I still don't think you would be isolating the single variable of an oil filter. After all, this will be a relatively small effect so you need to reduce the variability (noise) in your experiment to a very small level to have a statistically relevant value for the one variable you are looking to measure.

It won't be perfect but over the course of day 7 to 10 thousand miles it will cover a wide range of variables

Bought a new 2016 Focus. 2.0L GDI. I know GDI's mean two things, fuel dilution and deposits. So I went looking for a very thick 5w-20 that also tests well in the TEOST.

I settled on Castrol Edge EP (Gold Bottle). 100* Cst is 8.9, higher then PUP or Synpower. It also scored the best in Amsoil's 2013 TEOST test. I will be following the IOLM with a maximum of 1 year or 10k miles. I am going to test 3 filters for gas mileage, RP, Purolator Boss and the Purolator One. Which ever gives me the best mpg's will win. Thoughts?

Also, my top off oil will be GTX Magnatec 5w-20. Its Cst is 9.1

Congrats on the new wheels; that should be a good oil to use. I agree that the mpg test with different filters won't be conclusive but if you've got 'em, use 'em.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm on the same page with FutureDoc here; accidents are accidents and although most companies have had some sort of spill, this one was caused by the company's intentional cost cutting and bypassing of safety regulations.

THAT is why I don't knowingly use BP.

Last edited:
It won't be perfect but over the course of day 7 to 10 thousand miles it will cover a wide range of variables

No, it's much more difficult than that. You're describing trying to randomize the variables, but in order to do that you would have to do an analysis to determine how long that would take. If it was even possible it would likely take much longer than 7-10 thousand miles.

Your basic and most fundamental problem is that the effect of an oil filter on fuel economy (if it even exists) is going to be a very small high-order effect living among some very influential variables. Measuring a small result in high noise is very, very difficult. And measuring it is only the first step as then you have to be able to attribute the measurement to the variable (oil filter).

For reference, I once linked an article on here that showed that even at the same gas station the energy density of gasoline varied by up to 4%. This was independent of any blending changes that might occur for winter or summer. So unless your oil filter affects the outcome by more than this variable you will never be able to measure it nor attribute a measurement to another variable.

Correct me if I'm misinformed, but...

In terms of oil filters affecting gas mileage, isn't it just as simple as least resistance, or in other words, highest flow rate?

Assuming the filters are of [basically] the same size, and have the same relief valve psi setting... I would think it comes down to flow rate.

~ Triton

Prolly wanna go ahead and throw out the RP filter. They're so dang heavy compared to the others it's GOT to bring mileage down.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

In terms of oil filters affecting gas mileage, isn't it just as simple as least resistance, or in other words, highest flow rate?

Assuming the filters are of [basically] the same size, and have the same relief valve psi setting... I would think it comes down to flow rate.

~ Triton

For the filter for this engine, the difference between a zero restriction filter (i.e. none), and a fully plugged filter in bypass is 10psi.

2gpm estimated as a highway oil flow.

The power consumption difference between the two extremes id 10W.

If the OP turns off the radio, he'll have a way bigger effect on economy than any possible filter change.

There isn't a need to put so much thought into an oil and especially the oil filter . the most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail. the air filter is the most important filter on the engine. I would say you are putting too much thought into oil and filters. there will not be any noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Triton_330

~ Triton

For the filter for this engine, the difference between a zero restriction filter (i.e. none), and a fully plugged filter in bypass is 10psi.

2gpm estimated as a highway oil flow.

The power consumption difference between the two extremes id 10W.

If the OP turns off the radio, he'll have a way bigger effect on economy than any possible filter change.

Yeah this is pretty much what I figured would be the case.

A/C and Radio effect MPG way more than oil filters.

~ Triton

I think these things effect highway MPG the most:
Head wind
Low tire pressure
Windows down
Oil too thick

Oil filter doesn't effect MPG such that it can be measured under any circumstance.

I vote that you do your oil filter test and see if there's any difference and report back. I for one, would be interested to hear the results. Take a good long OCI like 10K or so.

Seems like the consensus is that there won't be a difference. Me, I'm never too sure about anything these days. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back