CARQUEST Premium Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the CQ Premium is the M1 clone. Some of them are black, and others are white with a blue label on the can, which is why they're often called CQ Blue.

The part numbers on the premium filters DO NOT start with an R.

For example, 84356 is premium. R84356 is the CQ Red, a white can with a red label.

Car51 has done a cut and post of the black Carquest premium filter.. looked very good too

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The CARQUEST blue is the Mobil 1 clone, I've never heard or seen of this black filter. The CARQUEST blue is a white can with blue letters.

The black cans are the same as CQ Blue. It's just that some applications are painted black with silver letters instead of the standard white and blue. But they are the same.

The 84356 is a black can, but it's still a CQ Blue.

As long as the part number doesn't start with R

1. The CQ blue is not a M1 copy. They are different and use different media.
2. The black filters are outsourced, meaning they are lower volume part numbers not made by the CQ supplier. They are similar but not the same as the CQ blue filter.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
1. The CQ blue is not a M1 copy. They are different and use different media.
2. The black filters are outsourced, meaning they are lower volume part numbers not made by the CQ supplier. They are similar but not the same as the CQ blue filter.

The 84356 is a black can, but this isn't a low-volume application (most Hondas and Nissans use the 84356), and the 84145 is used in many Totoyas.

One more question. It seems that some of the CQ filters are being made by Purolator now. see here

Good to get the true facts from a makers technical expert, with the job title. I often don't believe the claims this is just like the other one on here, based on looking at it. What I wonder is if the M1 is unique and no other has the same construction. I would imagine if a heavyweight like Exxon Mobil wants an oil filter with their name on it, good chance they will want it to be unique to their name. But, that is unknown at this time.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
....The 84356 is a black can, but this isn't a low-volume application (most Hondas and Nissans use the 84356)and the 84145 is used in many Totoyas. ...

Noticed the same thing about the 84356. And the AAP pic sure looks like Champ construction down to the Y on the base plate which could be seen on the old Champ Super Tech line non ecore filters. With the exception of the silicone adbv and can color, looks identical to the CQ standard red.

In any case, as noted the 7317/14610/57356 is a very common application.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-premium-oil-filter-84356/10555794-P?searchTerm=84356

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

Noticed the same thing about the 84356. And the AAP pic sure looks like Champ construction down to the Y on the base plate which could be seen on the old Champ Super Tech line non ecore filters. With the exception of the silicone adbv and can color, looks identical to the CQ standard red.

In any case, as noted the 7317/14610/57356 is a very common application.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-premium-oil-filter-84356/10555794-P?searchTerm=84356

It also has the same dotted yellow date code on the top of the can, indicating Fram's Albion, IL factory.

Linked is another example of a CQ R85358 black can that is clearly Champ/Fram/Rank made. It's the shorty 6607/14612 application which imo is not a low volume application.
21.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3994462/CarQuest_

I've purchased two of the CQ 84561 "black" filters for a friend's 2011 Audi A4. Both have Wix style writing on the dome end of the can and both show made in Mexico just like the Wix 84561. A 3" / 76mm end cap wrench fits these, unlike the Wix 84561 which has a slightly smaller diameter case.

CQ%20Black%2084561_zpsugwvfdp1.jpg

I figure they're good for his OM's 10K O/FCI since these are the CQ "Premium" with black case paint and white lettering and not the CQ "Red" R84561 with white case paint & red lettering.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I've purchased two of the CQ 84561 "black" filters for a friend's 2011 Audi A4. Both have Wix style writing on the dome end of the can and both show made in Mexico just like the Wix 84561. A 3" / 76mm end cap wrench fits these, unlike the Wix 84561 which has a slightly smaller diameter case.

CQ%20Black%2084561_zpsugwvfdp1.jpg

I figure they're good for his OM's 10K O/FCI since these are the CQ "Premium" with black case paint and white lettering and not the CQ "Red" R84561 with white case paint & red lettering.

For that application, get the M1-404. A reasonable price at AAP/CQ, the same price as any M1 can
smile.gif

And unlike the previously noted CQ Champ/Fram made black can R84356, 7317/14610 equivalent and the R85358, 6607/14612 equivalent, the CQ84561 for Audi would/could be considered a "low volume" and is an outsourced filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...0_N#Post4103205

I cut one of the new premium "blue" filters open here. These are made especially for CARQUEST by Champion. These are 99.5 percent efficient at 20 microns. I think that might be a better number than the Mobil 1 (from what I can tell, Mobil 1 doesn't put out ANYTHING about their filters). I'm currently running a Mobil 1 on my Silverado due to a bad experience with e-core ACDelco. My next filter is going to be a CARQUEST blue. It seems like a good filter with a good media.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
And unlike the previously noted CQ Champ/Fram made black can R84356, 7317/14610 equivalent and the R85358, 6607/14612 equivalent, the CQ84561 for Audi would/could be considered a "low volume" and is an outsourced filter.

Curious who they're outsourced to as they have the Wix style writing on the dome end and are marked made in Mexico just like the Wix 84561.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

For that application, get the M1-404. A reasonable price at AAP/CQ, the same price as any M1 can
smile.gif

Well since I got him 15 qts. Castrol 5W-40 Euro, 4 qts. Castrol 0W-40 Euro (Germany), 1 qt. Castrol 0W-40 Euro (Belgium), 10 qts. PPPP 5W-40 Euro, and 6 qts. PP 5W-40 Euro for $2 each at Autozone last winter, I figured a couple of these CQ Black filters at $5.40 each including shipping weren't a bad deal for 10K miles OCI's. He has a Mobil 1 M1-404 in his stash as well, along with a couple of Purolator Made in Germany filters that match the Mann filter in everything but paint color & logo for his application.

He drives about 20K miles a year so I told him to go to 6 month (Spring & Fall) O/FCI's especially as I just moved 1,350 miles from him and he doesn't watch the miles since last O/FCI real closely himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back