torn, help me make an educated decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Y K, that was the contribution I was looking for.

The car will be driven who has the kids the most..toss up. The wife drove everything from focus to lx570 in the past and has no real preference. I do not like change, so I want longevity and reliability so that's why toyota. Holds the value is not a big deal, I drive cars forever.
I don't drive like an idiot so the whole drives like a truck thing is no game changer. Far as I'm concerned the 4runner is a bit more plush of a ride.

4Runner sounds like a no brainer then if she is fairly indifferent/flexible with cars. I'm sure the Lexus is more car-like, but if the 4Runner doesn't particularly bother her, I think its capabilities and construction outweigh any negatives from being built like a truck. If I were buying a vehicle to keep for 20+ years, it would definitely, hands down, no contest be the 4Runner over a hybrid Lexus. Hybrids reach a point of obsolescence much sooner than a body on frame truck, and outside of warranty, repairing them can be very expensive. My dad bought a Civic hybrid brand new and kept it 11 years. He says if it was not for the warranty, it would not have been worth it. Honda was very good about covering things on it, but it did need multiple transmissions and batteries to pull off that 11 years and slightly over 100K miles. He got next to nothing on trade for a conventional powertrain Subaru because the transmission was failing again and there was no hiding it. It was a very early hybrid and the CVT problems were unique to these early hybrid Civics, but still, at some point you have to deal with that battery pack and the added complexity of a hybrid powertrain. It's almost like adding a second engine or trans as far as replacement costs go. The 4Runner on the other hand should be pretty predictable and not much hassle to keep on the road a long time.

If you drive cars forever, Toyota 4R is a 400k miles deal. (just buy your own grease guns and grease)
What happened to the LX? I love mine..

The lx was part of her past that no longer is. If I could afford lx/land cruiser I would love to own one and give it to my great grand kids
laugh.gif

I've worked for Lexus for over 18 years as a tech & can say the build quality on the RX450h is excellent. Common issues are leaking rear shocks, which are easy to replace, & Bluetooth connection problems that are fixed with software. You might see bad door lock actuators, but overall it's a great vehicle. HV batteries are worry free. Even with batteries, the aftermarket is making affordable replacements. Dorman HV batteries are about $1500 wholesale cost

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
The off road capabilities are needed since she has absolutely 0 competence when it comes to snow.

I'd buy her a FWD car and leave it on all seasons. AWD+AS's will enable her to fly off the road--perhaps in a literal sense. Better to get stuck in the driveway IMO.

Is part of this deal learning how to drive in snow?

Last edited:
4runners are great, except for the two downsides they share with Tacomas: overpriced and suck down gas. Otherwise I'd probably have owned either one by now.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
4runners are great, except for the two downsides they share with Tacomas: overpriced and suck down gas. Otherwise I'd probably have owned either one by now.

I agree with that. A used 100 Series Cruiser can be found for very reasonable $$, and the lesser mpg is more than made up for by the build quality/longevity, better engine, and more sophisticated AWD performance, excellent road manners and a lot of other points. When I comparison shop real SUVs hard, the 4runners are good, but just very overpriced.

Last edited:
It seems like the OP is looking at 2 specific lightly used vehicles. If this is the case and the Runner is 4wd and the Lexus isn't, and he needs 4wd then the decision is made. What was the question?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How can you get a RX450h cheaper than a Highlander?

RX450h is $57k-$63k

You can get a Highlander XLE for $38k

$20,000 buys a lot of fuel

+1

Well as expected we are spending more than anticipated. But it is saddle color leather,all the toys like hud/backup cam /heated steering wheel and so on in a 14 RX. 6k mi, it is actually cheaper than a less equipped new nx.

And the wife is happy. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back