New used tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
2006 Honda Odyssey. 235-65-16. Was going to buy a full set from Sams, either Michelin Defenders, Goodyear Triple treads, or Continental TrueContacts. Any of these would have cost me $600+. Just before doing so, I thought to look on CraigsList.

I found a full set of Bridgestone Ecopias, "90% or better" tread left, installed and balanced, for $240 at a independent tire shop south of Houston. Heckuva deal, IMO. Saved me $400.

Deals are out there, if you LOOK!

probably not 90%, never seen any tires correctly advertised by tread percentage. most likely 50% give or take. you still paid less than 50% so good deal.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
2006 Honda Odyssey. 235-65-16. Was going to buy a full set from Sams, either Michelin Defenders, Goodyear Triple treads, or Continental TrueContacts. Any of these would have cost me $600+. Just before doing so, I thought to look on CraigsList.

I found a full set of Bridgestone Ecopias, "90% or better" tread left, installed and balanced, for $240 at a independent tire shop south of Houston. Heckuva deal, IMO. Saved me $400.

Agree.

But, I usually looking for deals a little different. I try to buy from DT/AT during their sale several times a year on big holidays. And I would looking for manufacture's rebate and choose the model I like.

I just ordered a set of Kumho Solus TA71 from AT for Volvo, with 3 rebates of around $180-190 the final cost will be less than $200 installed.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

Agree.

But, I usually looking for deals a little different. I try to buy from DT/AT during their sale several times a year on big holidays. And I would looking for manufacture's rebate and choose the model I like.

I just ordered a set of Kumho Solus TA71 from AT for Volvo, with 3 rebates of around $180-190 the final cost will be less than $200 installed.

I got my snow tires for $38.25 a piece to my door from DTD!

Factory depth on the tread is 10/32" so if they are all at 9/32" you received what you paid for (90% tread). I would wonder why these tires were available so cheaply (problem the previous owner did not want to deal with/balancing/vibration?). Else drive out price for 4 comparable tires (Yokohama AVID Touring-S) at Discount Tire is $546 less 10% (for apples to apples) is $491 for a difference of $250. Still a good savings as long as there are no problems with the used tires.

Plenty of people (at least online) decide they need to go bigger or at least better than OEM rubber. I still have the set of nearly-new Bridgestones in my shed that came on my Tundra. I got snookered into believing LTX's would give me great snow traction, so I swapped out near-full tread tires "for something better". [I thought I could CL 'em for decent money--I was wrong. Should have given them to the tire shop, who likely would have sold them as a similar $300 deal. No warranty, I'm guessing.]

Close, since you need to replace at 2/32nds, I'd call 90% tread at between 9/32nds and 10/32nds. But then I'm pedantic and a little OCD
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Factory depth on the tread is 10/32" so if they are all at 9/32" you received what you paid for (90% tread). I would wonder why these tires were available so cheaply (problem the previous owner did not want to deal with/balancing/vibration?). Else drive out price for 4 comparable tires (Yokohama AVID Touring-S) at Discount Tire is $546 less 10% (for apples to apples) is $491 for a difference of $250. Still a good savings as long as there are no problems with the used tires.

Here we find some young people that buy a new vehicle then head to the tire shop for new tires and rims. Often you can get a great deal on those tires. Like new.

Buying any used tire(s) is definitely a case-by-case endeavor.

Case #1: A nice old man sold me his dead wife's Bridgestone G009's. It was Winter and the snows were on her car(which was being sold). They served me incredibly well. Of course Bridgestone ceased making them.

Case #2: A bloke who flips cars learned a while ago that 4 good quality, new tires makes the sale so he resells any pairs (rarely a set of 4) that are good.

I fell on these deals through Craigslist and dealt with honest people. They were on my common travel routes so distance was not a factor.

Other than those 2 cases I've always bought new tires. I'd happily redo 1 and 2 above again anytime. Kira

I bought new used all the time a few years ago. One time a local ford dealer was selling 4 Pirellis with 17" alloy wheels from a Mustang for $400 including mounting. They had zero miles on them. Customer wanted his new car to have 19" wheels and tires.
I used to do this all the time, then some shops told me they could no longer mount tires not purchased from them due to liability issues.

Originally Posted By: Need4racin
probably not 90%, never seen any tires correctly advertised by tread percentage. most likely 50% give or take. you still paid less than 50% so good deal.

No way these are 50%. During my college years, I did tires & batteries for Sears. I know tires and tread depth. These tires are a legit 90%, or very very close to it. Also noteworthy the $240 was "driveout", taxes included.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
. I would wonder why these tires were available so cheaply (problem the previous owner did not want to deal with/balancing/vibration?)... as long as there are no problems with the used tires.

I replaced them and the very next day we embarked on a three day trip into central and west TX. Roughly 1000 miles round trip. Drove steady 80-85 MPH loaded with 6 passengers and luggage. Tires preformed perfectly, any problem would have definitely shown by now. I am happy.

Putting a stranger's tires on your car like putting on someone else's used condom..sorry, I just don't see the benefit to the risk, a tire is a wear item that unfortunately doesn't always show what's worn.

Originally Posted By: Need4racin

Could be new vehicle take offs.
I got rid of a set of new Sonata OE Kumho Solus TA31 tires that were awful.A $74 tire at Tire Rack.
I went with a set of Pirelli Cinterado P7 All Season Plus.A great tire,btw.

Usually OE tires are not so great and some like myself want a better smoother,quieter,better on wet roads etc tires.

No Walmarts around you that do tires? Because you could've gotten a set of new tires for under $400 installed.

New tires are preferable to used tires. I'd only buy used tires in an emergency, or as a spare tire. There is no guarantee on used tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back