Indoor TV antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of indoor antennas, I think there are some good ones but you're still dependent on how far you are from the towers, your topography, and any obstructions. Something in the attic will likely get you more consistency if there are directional issues where you have to move an antenna to pick up a particular channel.

I use a powered Mohu Curve antenna in my living room that gets me 35+ channels and I'm happy with the overall performance being between 25-30 miles from the towers.

The cable tv model in general is well past its "sell by" date and it's analogous to cable companies being prop planes that tell you that you'll get all these great things while selling you expensive cocktails hoping you won't notice the cost and the propellers. The jet planes are the streaming services that allow you to get what you want in an almost a la carte model that the Comcasts of the world can't accommodate to cover their bloated costs.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
I find it amazing that people pay for TV, not that there is anything wrong with that if your debt free. But with my RCA attic antenna in my attic, from Lowes, I get every major network TV station and side channels well over 20 channels for free. Best thing is, the HD antenna signal is superior to cable or sat HD.
I then steam with a Ruku player and subscribe to Netflex and Hulu plus, total TV cost $20 a month. Way more then we can ever watch. I also have a channel master DVR plus for the over the air signals, works the same as a cable box recording programs, TV guide etc. buy the box and no monthly fees.
My antenna feeds into my home tv cable/phone network box and is distributed throughout the house to the jacks in all the rooms. I use a cheap Walmart RCA signal boaster in that box and have 100% signal on all channels.
I have had neighbors come over to see how it's done and they are amazed. Perfect HD picture.

I did the same thing UNTIL I decided I wanted all the Detroit Tigers, Pistons and Red Wing games on TV. That's the main reason I switched back to subscription cable.

Another reason is it's cheaper to buy the Triple Play package, than order the high speed internet and landphone doubleplay service.

My bill only end-up being $25 more for Triple Play. So it's a bargain at $95+ per month. I heard my subscription rate will climb to $130 after the guaranteed time subscription expires.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I like this website because it shows you the distance and heading of the local towers: http://www.antennapoint.com/

Where I live I can't get anything without a large directional antenna mounted in the attic. Adding a preamplifier helped make up for the signal loss from the long run of cable needed to connect it to the main tv.

Yes, that is a really good site. I used it a few years back when we cut the cable..

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I find it amazing that people pay for TV, not that there is anything wrong with that if your debt free. But with my RCA attic antenna in my attic, from Lowes, I get every major network TV station and side channels well over 20 channels for free. Best thing is, the HD antenna signal is superior to cable or sat HD.
I then steam with a Ruku player and subscribe to Netflex and Hulu plus, total TV cost $20 a month. Way more then we can ever watch. I also have a channel master DVR plus for the over the air signals, works the same as a cable box recording programs, TV guide etc. buy the box and no monthly fees.

I did the same thing UNTIL I decided I wanted all the Detroit Tigers, Pistons and Red Wing games on TV. That's the main reason I switched back to subscription cable.

Another reason is it's cheaper to buy the Triple Play package, than order the high speed internet and landphone doubleplay service.

My bill only end-up being $25 more for Triple Play. So it's a bargain at $95+ per month. I heard my subscription rate will climb to $130 after the guaranteed time subscription expires.

We all have our "thing", luxuries we are willing to pay for. For you (and many others) its sports and I am fine with that, for me, I wont turn over $100 (or more) of my income each and EVERY month to watch players making millions (and 10s of millions) a year throw a ball.

By me not doing that, it pays for my other toys, current one is a 2014 Harley Road King but for me, at least its material, an asset too if I sell it. But again, not bashing someone else enjoyment.
I just do not think, the average person or family calculates how much of their income they give away to companies every month and in many cases dont use what they pay for!
Not only that, many of them do not even know the true cost.

You state your cable bill will go to $130 but you are not quite sure yet because the promotion hasnt expired yet. That is why cable companies have promotions with tiny writing of the exact terms, most people have no idea what the bill is, the actual payment out of their debit card every month.

Anyway, lets say, your total bill is $130 actual payment (though your still not sure) that means, to watch sports it is costing you $200 of your monthly income each and every month. Again, no problem for me, we all have our "thing" ... I like motorcycles and boats but wont give my money to UBER RICH Sports teams, players and cable companies swindling non suspecting people out of their monthly income using promotions, taxes, surcharges, lease fees, rental fees to trick them into paying dearly for services they do not use.

BTW, if you had my set up with the Channel Master DVR+ you must know that for $20 a month you can subscribe to Sling TV and get ESPN plus 20 other "pay channels"

My monthly costs,
ACTUAL PAYMENT INCLUDES ALL TAXES FEES

Internet-
TWC Cable internet $29.00 (will go to 49.00 end of year, thing is, if I dont want to pay it, I dont have to, flip of a switch and I can go back to ATT, whoever gives me the best price)

Television -
Hulu Plus $9.00
Netflex $9.00
Attic TV Antenna $0.00

Phone Service
Ooma - $4.58

Last edited:

We all have our "thing", luxuries we are willing to pay for. For you (and many others) its sports and I am fine with that, for me, I wont turn over $100 (or more) of my income each and EVERY month to watch players making millions (and 10s of millions) a year throw a ball.

By me not doing that, it pays for my other toys, current one is a 2014 Harley Road King but for me, at least its material, an asset too if I sell it. But again, not bashing someone else enjoyment.
I just do not think, the average person or family calculates how much of their income they give away to companies every month and in many cases dont use what they pay for!

You state your cable bill will go to $130 but you are not quite sure yet because the promotion hasnt expired yet. That is why cable companies have promotions with tiny writing of the exact terms, most people have no idea what the bill is, the actual payment out of their debit card every month.

Anyway, lets say, your total bill is $130 actual payment (though your still not sure) that means, to watch sports it is costing you $200 of your monthly income each and every month. Again, no problem for me, we all have our "thing" ... I like motorcycles and boats but wont give my money to UBER RICH Sports teams, players and cable companies swindling non suspecting people out of their monthly income using promotions, taxes, surcharges, lease fees, rental fees to trick them into paying dearly for services they do not use.

BTW, if you had my set up with the Channel Master DVR+ you must know that for $20 a month you can subscribe to Sling TV and get ESPN plus 20 other "pay channels"

My monthly costs,

Internet-
TWC Cable internet $29.00 (will go to 49.00 end of year, thing is, if I dont want to pay it, I dont have to, flip of a switch and I can go back to ATT, whoever gives me the best price)

Television -
Hulu Plus $9.00
Netflex $9.00
Attic TV Antenna $0.00

Phone Service
Ooma - $4.58

When my bill climbs to $130, I will opt-out.
Also, I do not attend any pro sport games. I do not financially support them or the players, outside of a couple bucks they get from my bill each month,

If you don;t enjoy watching pro sports, just say it. Cause of you did,. you wouldn't be haggling about cable bills UNLESS you are currently financially strapped,. when is the #1 utmost reason, why most-all ditch their cable bills in the first place.

Very high odds say if you could afford cable, you would have it. So quit [censored]'ing me here.

I'm out of this nonsense discussion. Take your [censored] to some other poster.

My monthly costs,

Internet-

Television -
Hulu Plus $9.00
Netflex $9.00
Attic TV Antenna $0.00

Phone Service
Ooma - $4.58

When my bill climbs to $130, I will opt-out.
Also, I do not attend any pro sport games. I do not financially support them or the players, outside of a couple bucks they get from my bill each month,

If you don;t enjoy watching pro sports, just say it. Cause of you did,. you wouldn't be haggling about cable bills UNLESS you are currently financially strapped,. when is the #1 utmost reason, why most-all ditch their cable bills in the first place.

Very high odds say if you could afford cable, you would have it. So quit [censored]'ing me here.

I'm out of this nonsense discussion. Take your [censored] to some other poster.

Nice response, maybe you need to re-read my post, if you did, you will see quite clearly I am not into watching sports (or paying for it) so I "did say it" ... buddy. This thread is about TV antennas, cost cutting and not giving away money to companies for no reason or purpose of those who choose not too and why/how.

Last edited:
It all depends where you live. With a good antenna I can easily get 15-18 channels. The problem? Only three are in English.

Depends on location. Had one that worked great, moved, found a $10 one works better now. Depends how far from towers and hills, trees, buildings in the way. But yeah...how do people not know about over the air free tv?

Main living room TV has the Mohu Leaf as backup.
Spare room TV has amplified Mohu Leaf.
Both get all our local channels we wanted plus a lot more channels. Both are refurbished and were on sale.
Inexpensive and works when we need them.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Unfortunately I have to pay $24/month to pay cable company for limited basic which is broadcast tv essentially with a better antenna then I have or get. Everything is 35 miles+ from my home.....
Why not make a great antenna? Look on youtube for hd antenna.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw I've made a few of these and trust me, they were very good!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back