Leave it on or shut it off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put mine in sleep mode every night. Reboot once or twice a week just to give it a fresh start.

Mine goes into sleep mode after 20 minutes idle. I shut the laptop down when I'm done using it for the day.

My desktop goes sleep-mode after 20 minutes and Hibernation after 60 minutes idle. I shut that one off before bed.

Fans and capacitors have a finite life span, mine gets shut off when not in use. I want maximum life out of my hardware.

My computer and laptop are only on when I am using them. Once done they are shut off. Just no need for either to be on when I am not using them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Leave it on or shut it off?

The rational answer to that question depends on how much you use it and what you use it for.

Win 10 Desktop is on 24/7. When it was on Win 7 I had a full automation to where it would update and reboot weekly and such, don't remember if I did that on Win 10. All the parts in this computer have been going strong for 4.5 years now and it has been on the entire time sans power outages.

If it were a laptop, I would at least put it to sleep when I'm not using it.

My laptop when it is plugged in and on never goes to sleep. I use it from about noon to 7 pm daily. My desktop is on 24/7 and will go to sleep in 20 minutes. It will get rebooted once a week or so. Never hibernation though.

Hibrenate or sleep, uses barely more power than having it off. Most of the newer laptops consume only a couple watts when in a low power state, about as much as the power supply does doing it's checkup on the battery. Fans also shutdown for the most part in sleep mode, hard drives spin down and for all intents and purposes the machine acts like it's off. The big advantage is being able to hit the power button and resume what you were doing in just a few seconds.

I let all my computers go to sleep and just restart them once a week or so, I have a couple that are 6-7 years old that work just as well as when they were knew.

Five laptops and a desktop here. None are ever shut down, sleep or hibernate only with an occasional restart as required for updates. Several are eight years old.

Originally Posted By: spackard
You
Should
Google
sleep of death surface

Wow, first world problems. Save your files and turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back