When should you use grease with moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May I ask you where the moly content is stated? I have seen 1% quoted in another thread, but nowhere in their spec sheet. There is always this problem with Valvoline: website states one thing, the product label may go some other way. Their MSDS for US states 2.5%, Canada between 1.5 and 5.0%, UK - between 2.5% and 5.0%, etc. I haven't look into others like Chinese and Russian, they also have the rest of the world sheet. Only US states Poly Olefin content.. I understand differences in regulations between EU and the rest of the world, but why not put this on the product label?

Another question: why some greases are double [and more] in their base oil viscosity, e.g. Mobilgrease XHP 222 Special (Special is different from 'regular' XHP in their moly content at 0.75%, while regular has no moly) has ISO VG of a minimum 220, so do many Chevron greases from EP to ESI, while a lot of retail stuff is half of that. Most consumers pay attention to NLGI consistency number only. I use XHP 222 Special for the driveshaft yoke slider in my LandCruiser. Mobil 1 synthetic grease is also at 220.

I downloaded an older product data sheet (PDS) that said 3%. The new PDS doesn't say anything but the current MSDS says 2.5% moly. I don't really see a reason not believe Valvoline when they say 2.5% moly content so I will stick to my original statement, ABOUT 3% moly.

Either way, you would think Valvoline of all people would recommend against using their moly fortified grease if it was known to cause issues in roller bearings or universal joints. Instead, they recommend their grease for those applications right on the tube.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Either way, you would think Valvoline of all people would recommend against using their moly fortified grease if it was known to cause issues in roller bearings or universal joints. Instead, they recommend their grease for those applications right on the tube.

And drug dealer recommends against the use.. No, it's manufacturers' recommendation that matter to me. Of course, in many cases, any grease is better than no grease, and in average consumer use, it may not matter. I have a fellow Cruiser owner, who doesn't repack wheel bearing and does no propeller greasing after his warranty expired. He also claimed his engine is not an interference engine and killed it by not doing his timing belt on time,, at 380k miles. So, it wasn't his greasing protocol for sure.
Amazing, how simple things can be misunderstood. In industrial use people listen though.

Interesting info from a "lubrication engineer" . If he is correct, then why does Ford recommend moly grease for their vehicle wheel bearings? I think Ford knows a thing or two about what grease to use...

And Toyota recommends against it, except for the driveshaft/propeller slip yoke. Ford has its own data, and I am not disputing that. With one reservation: Toyota recommendation is for the vehicle with 25-year service life design.
As for "lubrication engineer", I agree with you: Internet is full of folks, claiming anything imaginable and unimaginable. Like on this site.

Darn, I just bought a tube of Synpower and was planning on using just that on my Toyota truck. Now I'm having second thoughts. Thus far I've never used a moly grease on U joints, just the drive shaft spline...

On a side note, when I was using Mobil 1, I didn't need a seperatly moly grease for the spine. You could feel it starting to fade at around 8k but that was good enough as I grease every time I change oil.

Last edited:
I only use a moly grease (5%) on ball joints, tie rods, slip yokes. Wheel bearings and U joints get Mobil 1 red synthetic.
One gun has the M1 in it and the other schaeffer's 238, nothing else needed, never had a problem using these two.
I don't see the need for a low 3% moly like Valvoline.

2+ year old thread.

I have developed a wheel bearing noise with not all that much mileage on the SKF bearings.

Used valvoline Synpower grease

Noise first started some 500 miles after hitting road debris at 70Mph.

I wonder if the impact or the Moly grease are responsible

This thread leaves me a bit confused. We are about to do some wheel bearings on a suburban, would this grease be OK to use : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Line-80402-CV-2-Synthetic-Grease/261871765944?epid=9022092656&hash=item3cf8c609b8:g:HwwAAOSwNmVaXViK:sc:USPSPriority!80135!US!-1

Pretty sure Redline CV-2 is a pretty high moly grease.

I believe that high moly greases might not be wise in tapered roller bearings in disc brakes depsite all the reports of 'no problems'

I can see the moly causing skidding on that which should instead roll.

I would love to know of a quality wheel bearing grease without Moly

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
2+ year old thread.

I have developed a wheel bearing noise with not all that much mileage on the SKF bearings.

Used valvoline Synpower grease

Noise first started some 500 miles after hitting road debris at 70Mph.

I wonder if the impact or the Moly grease are responsible

I really doubt it has anything to do with the synpower. I replaced and repacked the front wheel bearings on two vehicles and 2 riding lawn mowers along with greasing a bunch of zerks; all with synpower over 2 years ago and none of the bearings are having problems in any of the applications I used synpower in.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back