Rebuilding calipers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I live in new England so it is very wet here. After I cleaned the old caliper up, I was particularly careful to thoroughly bleed all the brakes. Probably more careful than usual. Not sure about that though. I am convinced that moisture contamination is the culprit and I am trying to stick to a complete bleeding of all brakes on all my vehicles on a regular basis. Maybe 60K miles.

In the past I have regularly changed the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. But that clean fluid never was able to work it's way all through the system because when I bled the slave cylinders the fluid came out filthy even though the fluid in the master cylinder was pristine.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I change out my brake fluid regularly and haven't had to replace a caliper since 1992.

^^ this.....in Cleveland they dump 000s of metric tons of salt annually.....PM is the key

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Well, I live in new England so it is very wet here. After I cleaned the old caliper up, I was particularly careful to thoroughly bleed all the brakes. Probably more careful than usual. Not sure about that though. I am convinced that moisture contamination is the culprit and I am trying to stick to a complete bleeding of all brakes on all my vehicles on a regular basis. Maybe 60K miles.

In the past I have regularly changed the brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. But that clean fluid never was able to work it's way all through the system because when I bled the slave cylinders the fluid came out filthy even though the fluid in the master cylinder was pristine.

Try rinsing your wheels regularly in Winter. I do mine every 3-4 weeks at one of those power car washes.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I change out my brake fluid regularly and haven't had to replace a caliper since 1992.

I never change out my brake fluid and in 35 years of driving, have never had to replace one....

The front calipers on the Rat became cores when I watched the barrel of the bleeder started to twist but it wasn't unscrewing. Stopping there saved me 20$ a pair on core charges.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
The front calipers on the Rat became cores when I watched the barrel of the bleeder started to twist but it wasn't unscrewing. Stopping there saved me 20$ a pair on core charges.
grin2.gif

I thought that most reman companies accepted cores back even with the bleeders totally twisted off and the threads stuck in the caliper??
21.gif

Not that I know of, they frown on broken bleeders. That is if the parts counter monkey even bothers to look, most of the time you could sneak a brick in the box by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back