Thoughts on M1 V-Twin 20-50 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Kawasaki 900 Vulcan. I changed the oil and used the above oil. It calls for 10-40 as recommended but I figured it would work well. Probably overkill on a water cooled bike.

I wonder who uses this oil and what you noticed using it.

I have read reviews elsewhere that people reported their bikes ran cooler, smoother and quieter using it

I'd go with what the owner manual says. 20W-50 is a pretty thick step up from 10W40 and with that small of a twin I'd think you may notice some throttle response difference at least until the 20W50 sheared down closer to a 10W40 but who knows how long that may take, all depends on how tough that particular powertrain is on oil.

I know what I'd run in that bike if the manual says 10W40. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40. Outstanding oil and available virtually everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
I would like to try it, but it's not available around here.
Seems like a great oil, though a bit on the expensive side.
I hear the Brits have it.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I'd go with what the owner manual says. 20W-50 is a pretty thick step up from 10W40 and with that small of a twin I'd think you may notice some throttle response difference at least until the 20W50 sheared down closer to a 10W40 but who knows how long that may take, all depends on how tough that particular powertrain is on oil.

I know what I'd run in that bike if the manual says 10W40. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40. Outstanding oil and available virtually everywhere.

+1

I agree, Mobile 1 is a well respected oil and nothing wrong with using a 20/50 but in a northern climate I think your better off with what the manual recommends, even more so with liquid cooling. If you must use a syn Mobile 1 10/40 is what I would use.
With that said, without question, if it was my bike, I would use an HEDO such as Conventional Rotella 15/40 or Rotella 15/40 semi syn and change every 3000 to 4000 miles as the HEDOs pass stringent tests. I did this in all my metrics or simply conventional Valvoline motorcycle oil.

I ran it in one of my Harleys with great results. I tore it down after 30,000 miles to build the engine bigger and was surprised how little wear there was. Everything still looked new.

I thought about the 10-40 but don't plan on running it in cold weather. I figured the oil would never get to a 50 w with the water cooling anyway but it would stay in grade for sure.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I thought about the 10-40 but don't plan on running it in cold weather. I figured the oil would never get to a 50 w with the water cooling anyway but it would stay in grade for sure.

Wut o_O

Can some explain the term "Great results" when used to describe a motors condition, with hardly any miles on it?. Unless you ran it with no oil in it, it should look like new. Wouldn't that term be how you would describe ones motor condition when it was torn down with over 100,000 miles on it?.,,,

I can get it with a 5 minute walk from home here in OZ.

It's a great oil, HTHS is well above what you need, at over 6, as viscometrically, it's almost a monograde, with 20W cold weather performance.

You won't hurt anything at all if you use it...you MIGHT notice some power loss.

I wondered. I mean a car can recommend a 5-20 like my Chrysler but I could run a 5-30 or 10-40 in it.

The manual shows 10-40 as recommended but also shows a 20-50 can be used between 32 degrees to over 104 degrees.

Great oil, one of the few that won't shear down at all. However, after it's been mixmastered it tends to turn into a 60 grade.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
The manual shows 10-40 as recommended but also shows a 20-50 can be used between 32 degrees to over 104 degrees.

Ah, there you go, manual states 20/50 can be used, no brainer then, if that is what you want.

Last edited:
It is a good oil...a bit overpriced I think. Holds up to shear well. The 900 Vulcan is not stressed pushing out just a shade under 50hp, so it won't particularly tax the oil and your shared sump transmission should stay nice and happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back