ATF as an engine flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Neutra is also a good alternative that costs less (if you already have Neutra on hand anyways, since you typically need to order it by a case of 24, at about $2 each) [/QB]

I bought a gallon jug from Tim Mills for $21 shipped. (128 ounces)

MolaKule,

What is your opinion on using Neutra at 1 oz. per quart of oil for 500 miles or 50 hrs of operation? The instructions on the bottle say this is an acceptable alternative.

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:
ATF is a base oil with a viscosity of ISO 68 do you think that might stick around long enough in your engine to cause thinning out of your oil ? The additive package used in ATF Products is NOT for a
gas or diesel engine, just take two of them "Chlorine-Sulphur" where do you think those hydrocarbons go ? MoleKule told you some very good advice in an earlier post,if you want a flush, If you want your entire engine or transmission cleaned than use Auto-Rx. From personal experience there are bad consequences in using "Solvents" to clean your skin.

Totally agree and I personally use Auto-Rx as a cleaner. I was just trying to 'flush' out the issues and facts since this isn't the only board I've seen where some folks strongly advocate using ATF as an economical and effective flush.

I DONOT recommend using ATF as a flush, don't use ATF as a crankcase Flush.

[ February 12, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

"MolaKule,

What is your opinion on using Neutra at 1 oz. per quart of oil for 500 miles or 50 hrs of operation? The instructions on the bottle say this is an acceptable alternative. "

I see no problems with that since Neutra is an ester as well. Neutra is a bit more aggressive than Auto-RX, so I wouldn't exceed that dose.

Anyone know what TAN/TBN are and which fluid has either??

What about what happens when you mix a TAN fluid with a TBN fluid??

So, does ATF have more detergents are is it just thinner?

There is more to ATF analysis than known detergents that are tested for.

Time to run an engine on nothing but ATF for long term. Any volunteers?

I as well as my father has always used a quart of ATF as an engine flush. With our diesels, we usually ran it about 300mi or so with 1qt, we even added 1/3 qt of it into our diesel gas tank. I always noticed a lot of blow-by when adding atf to the gas tank, but thats because it's buring the atf, but will leave the valves and injectors lubed.

Been doing it for ever without any problems. As for newer engine I may not suggest it, anything after 90' or so. Also dont put ATF in gas engines, it'll just screw up sensors and catylitic conv.

Just use Neutra 131 as an engine flush, pretty cheap for a gallon.

Hate to comment on an old thread from the boneyard but I wonder where these vehicles are today?

Diesel Fuel, ATF and GUNK in the crankcase to clean up an engine would....IMO....do more damage to the seals and gaskets and shorten the life of an engine. It would most likely take 2 or 3, back to back, very short OCI to get these solvents out of the crankcase. I would like to know the status of these vehicles today....how long did they last before major seal replacement?

i used atf fora flush. 1/2 qt ran it 20 mins before draining. it wont clean the engine but it will quiet lifters sometimes.

but now that i have found kreen i will stick to it when i need cleaning.

You kidding? ATF fluid is designed for an enclose system, i.e. no blow by gasses, no oxygen. Hence, it doesn't have a sufficient level of detergents and dispersents.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
i used atf fora flush. 1/2 qt ran it 20 mins before draining. it wont clean the engine but it will quiet lifters sometimes.

WHAT is it about ATF that makes some think that it will quiet noisy lifters???!!!
21.gif

(YES, I know this is an ANCIENT thread, but I hear the above A LOT, and want to know the facts.;) )

This previous thread about ATF is worth reading:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729268

ATF contains less detergent additives than most engine oils. The only reason that it might have a cleaning effect is because it is a thin oil.

I would not add it to an engine because there is a risk of long term damage to the seals because it will not have been checked for compatibility with engine oil seals and gaskets.
Idle flush additives are not that expensive and if you really must use a drive around flush (Risky if the engine is badly sludged, particularly if it has a turbo), MMO costs about the same as ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back