Looking at VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
RUN! Just run and run and don't look back, that car is TRASH.

15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

Nick, how's that Camry of yours, still puffing smoke?
It sure is, but it'll run circles around that TDI, since it's not gonna be sitting in a shop. I've had it for 9 months and almost 17,000 miles. Has had 1 $50 repair, needed a new air intake hose. Taking it out of town this weekend 500 miles in the mountains, not even going to pop the hood beforehand.

I'd rather have my Camry doing this
57.gif

Than a VW doing this
15.gif

I've already played the VW game, I know.

I have a 2001 TDI (ALH motor) as a commercial vehicle. It must have clocked over 1 mil miles.
After I took over from 4 previous owners, I ran the odo myself over 300k km and it reset to 0.

Then things start to break down, oil cooler, radiator, hose, brake master pump, wheel bearings.

But I put these down to wear and tear items, and maybe the replacement parts were not as good as factory original.

Timing belt broke once when I first own it bcuz I didn't know when to change, but fortunately, no engine damage.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
RUN! Just run and run and don't look back, that car is TRASH.

15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

Nick, how's that Camry of yours, still puffing smoke?
It sure is, but it'll run circles around that TDI, since it's not gonna be sitting in a shop. I've had it for 9 months and almost 17,000 miles. Has had 1 $50 repair, needed a new air intake hose. Taking it out of town this weekend 500 miles in the mountains, not even going to pop the hood beforehand.

I'd rather have my Camry doing this
57.gif

Than a VW doing this
15.gif

I've already played the VW game, I know.

Nick, I agree. There's little point in buying diesel car in US with your petrol /gasoline price. Even less in buying 16 years old one. Mk4 Golf (or Bug as yours) wasn't much of a car even when fresh. Mk5 on other hand..

VW diesels are decent, but far from great. Camshafts and dual mass on pumpe-duse, injectors failures on regular basis on later common rails..
People in Europe like VWs build quality, general feel, and great residuals when leasing expire. In these things VW is notch above direct competitors, nothing much more.

I thought all VW DMF's were prone to breakage? Drive long enough and they will quit, it seems. I was not amused when mine went; granted it was a good excuse to put in a stronger clutch. But since when is it acceptable for a flywheel to wear out before a clutch disc does?

I still have fond memories of that car though.

I have no doubt the TDI engines have very good longevity. The problem is, it takes a lot of $$$ to get them to go mega miles. I was spending so much in repairs, it would have cost the same to drive a dump truck at 8 mpg.

The ALH is a good engine, it's the rest of the car around it that is junk. Run away as fast as you can and don't look back. My 2004 TDI was the biggest piece of junk.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: loneryder
99 Golf tdi 5sp with 186000 miles. Timing Belt and fuel filter recently changed. Is this engine any good? Have heard lots of bad stuff about certain VW engines. What can you guys tell me about this motor?

Great engine. Saw them with more then 500K.
If engine was well maintained get it.
Use ONLY 5W40 oil that meets VW 505.01 spec. (Valvoline 5W40 MST, Pentosin SUper Pento II, Motul X-Clean).
The ALH does NOT need 505.01 oil. That's the BEW engine (04'+)

It does not, but it is good since it is 5W40, and it will be better when it comes to carbon build up.

The ALH is a good engine, it's the rest of the car around it that is junk. Run away as fast as you can and don't look back. My 2004 TDI was the biggest piece of junk.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
99 Golf tdi 5sp with 186000 miles. Timing Belt and fuel filter recently changed. Is this engine any good? Have heard lots of bad stuff about certain VW engines. What can you guys tell me about this motor?

Great engine. Saw them with more then 500K.
If engine was well maintained get it.
Use ONLY 5W40 oil that meets VW 505.01 spec. (Valvoline 5W40 MST, Pentosin SUper Pento II, Motul X-Clean).
The ALH does NOT need 505.01 oil. That's the BEW engine (04'+)

It does not, but it is good since it is 5W40, and it will be better when it comes to carbon build up.

Learn something new everyday. I had a TSB from the dealer that said my 02 should run the 505.01 speck. Interesting.

That is interesting. Because the 505.01 cars (04+ BEW engine) were back specced to the new 507 5w30 oils. Which I wouldn't be putting in an ALH or BEW that's for sure.

An easy rule is if you want a simple and reliable used vehicle, start off by buying one that as being known to be simple and reliable. This is not it;

I've known 4 people who owned early 2000s VWs and none chose to buy another as, for 3, frustration was the primary reason for getting rid of it. The 4th said it was a great car, however she purchased a Civic as the replacement daily driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back