Spark plug tube gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
OEM or Felpro? I know at least one on my Tundra is leaking. What with a long weekend it is tempting to dig into this on say Monday. Autozone claims to have the Felpro part for $20; OEM would be $67 through the local dealer.

Oddly enough the dealer didn't have the tube gaskets in stock, would have to order for me.

The quality is comparable - so it's up to you. My experience is that the price difference between the two are minimal so I am a bit surprised to see such a large difference.

The dealer doesn't stock items that they do not sell a lot of. Toyota has a very good distribution system so if an item is in stock at the local distribution center (most fast moving items are), you can get it either same day or overnight. Sometimes another dealer in the area has the part in stock, and partsvoice.com will usually give you that info.

If the prices were really close, I'd say use OEM.

But with a price difference that big, it's a no brainer. Go with Fel-Pro.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The quality is comparable - so it's up to you. My experience is that the price difference between the two are minimal so I am a bit surprised to see such a large difference.

The dealer doesn't stock items that they do not sell a lot of. Toyota has a very good distribution system so if an item is in stock at the local distribution center (most fast moving items are), you can get it either same day or overnight. Sometimes another dealer in the area has the part in stock, and partsvoice.com will usually give you that info.

Yeah, the parts guy said if I called back before 5pm then the truck would drop off the seals first thing tomorrow morning. So no issue there (and the dealer is 2-3 miles from work, no problems getting there).

I would have ordered stuff off eBay/Amazon, price shopped that is, to get OEM; but it just dawned on me today (as spurred by the other thread) that this weekend would be a perfect time to dig into this job.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If the prices were really close, I'd say use OEM.

But with a price difference that big, it's a no brainer. Go with Fel-Pro.

Maybe I'll do that then. Call Autozone, verify that they actually have it, then go that route. I can pull plugs on the Camry this weekend and check to see if it too needs these gaskets, although it'd be great to just do that job at the same time (try as I might, I can't find its gaskets outside of the dealer).

The OEM is a set of 8. You're better off with OEM tube seals & OEM valve cover gaskets. Use FIPG black on the cam caps & 1/2 moon plugs or you'll end up with leaks down the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back