Freebie honda mower find!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMAG1693.jpg

IMAG1694.jpg

Found on side of the road with a bunch of black trash bags.

Gas looked like honey colored

Removed carb bowl and drained old gas. Put in new gas and it's started on the FIRST pull.

The bad... there is a hairline crack on the mower deck just in front of the engine.

Didn't seem to vibrate at all maybe a good donor engine?

So is that one of the Troy Bilts from before they were bought out?

Last edited:
I used a mower I found years ago at my old house that had a hairline crack in the deck as well. I cleaned it up and used JB Weld. I used that mower for many years, then I found something better. I'm currently using that, 18 years and counting. LOL

I guess it had a bad wheel since one of the front wheels is brand new. As to the hair line crack, probably wont be a problem. Its a metal deck. If it gets worse, you can have a shop weld it up for $5 or add a small piece of sheet metal as reinforcement.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

The bad... there is a hairline crack on the mower deck just in front of the engine.

Got a welder? Or do you know someone that can weld it?

When I was working in a lawn care business out of high school we saw a lady throw a tiller on a curbside trash pile. We pulled over and asked as she was walking away. It looked brand new. She said it stopped turning the blades and she wasn't interested in fixing it and was going to buy another. We figured the motor was at least worth something so we took it. Apparently it was missing a PIN to engage the blades. It's was the pin you pull out to free wheel. My old boss still has it.

Nice Find. I f9und a Toro Recycler in the trash two weeks ago. It has a Briggs on it. I got it running after two carb clean outs. Found out the gas tank was leaking. Fixed it by melting the crack shut with a soldering gun. Used it twice now. No problems. Sell it at the next yard sale. Love those free mowers.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Nice Find. I f9und a Toro Recycler in the trash two weeks ago. It has a Briggs on it. I got it running after two carb clean outs. Found out the gas tank was leaking. Fixed it by melting the crack shut with a soldering gun. Used it twice now. No problems. Sell it at the next yard sale. Love those free mowers.
Heh heh, Recycle that Recycler! I have been mowing with freebie mowers since the late 80s. My lawn has never looked better. MDW is the same about household furniture.
grin2.gif

I have that same mower. I always have to find a stick and keep the choke closed til it warms up.. my choke takes like 20 seconds to open once i pull it the first time its too fast..kind of aggravating.

I used mine last week to mow down 3 foot grass in a large field, its a tank once it gets going.

good find!

That is EXACTLY LIKE the mower I bought in 2006. Been a very good one so far. No complaints at all. Would buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed one.

Yeah, that's just an MTD that happened to come with a Honda GC on it. Still a great find for free if it's a workable mower!

I own that same mower-- mine appears newer (purchased in 2010) and has cooler looking brand labeling on it.

I bought it because it had the best/largest engine I could find on a non-self-propelled deck. Set me back $269 at the time.

Thing is a tank, especially the engine. At some point I moved into a house with 2/3 an acre to mow, so I needed a riding mower. The Troy-Bilt got relegated to stupid things you should never do with a mower, like mowing brush patches, stickers, anything I didn't want to risk taking my rider over. I made my own throttle control, as the OEM unit was set up for one speed. I've run it for hours on end at well over the factory RPM, so I could mow through stuff knee high. Never missed a beat, and would buy it again if it ever needed to be replaced. I still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back