IBM System I and 8" Floppy Disks for MDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/677436.pdf

Let's hope they procure the right systems and we don't have this scenario:

"Commencing Launch sequence... 10...9....8....7...6...5....

Cancelling launch sequence....

Upgrading Microsoft Windows .....

19% Complete...

Launch will commence after system reboot for Microsoft Windows upgrade to take effect.

Upgrading...

20% Complete..."

grin2.gif

There are government agencies and groups still using Microsoft DOS, CPM-86 and Windows 95 with peer-to-peer networks.

The appointees running these shows are figure heads making a paycheck. They have no idea what their job entails and there's no requirement that they do. The best they can handle is a suit and tie and taking advantage of their reserved parking slot. The prevailing attitude is that if it runs and works don't touch it.

Some of these systems run power systems, sewage system, permit issue and control systems, dispatch systems and on and on.

I have been doing data conversions from old legacy database systems to modern systems like Microsoft SQL. Does anyone remember Dataflex or Cheetah? How about dBase II or dBase III and George Tate? Maybe Clarion or Clipper? All and more are in current use today.

Can you say floppy drives, 1Mb of memory, VLB or "Please, insert disk with operating system".

Working for the government as an appointee is all down hill once you get dressed in the morning while remembering to not leave home without your pants on and your tie tied, find your reserved parking place and following the directions, find your way to your office. Once you accomplish this, you're done. Well, done until lunch time but you must remember to call in if you're not sober enough to make it back before quitting time.

I worked for a company that dealt in old SPARC hardware. There's a LOT of the old SPARCstations out there running super outdated versions of Solaris

Up here, at least, half of the problems arise in government when they wish to connect everything to the internet willy nilly, or even their own intranet. I remember working for the government one time, when the one terminal used to be plugged directly into the Laserjet 4. It was basically a word processing terminal, not much more than that. It had Word Perfect, and little else. That wasn't good enough. Some "tech" had to come in and hook it up to the intranet. Instead of the data going directly from the computer to the printer via the parallel port, as before, it would go from the computer, down the intranet to Winnipeg, and then back to the printer.

Haven't you seen terminator? those are the computer systems that will save us from the new AI machines when the time comes. Seriously those old computers were tanks and Solaris was solid for what you ran on them.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I worked for a company that dealt in old SPARC hardware. There's a LOT of the old SPARCstations out there running super outdated versions of Solaris

I have a customer with one of the original Sun E10000 servers with 250Mhz procs. About once a year I get asked about upgrades. I suggest they move to something more current. So far it has not happened.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Hubble still runs fine on 286, SPARCs are space age compared to those

Older hardware is less susceptible to flipping bits due to cosmic rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back