bring back the foot switch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember our 1974 brown Matador Coupe had a foot switch. As a child I wondered what the silver thing was coming out of the floor.

More than one car of mine with stalk controls needed expensive repair. I've never had problems with foot switches. There's too much current to operate the headlamps to properly design a robust stalk control.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
More than one car of mine with stalk controls needed expensive repair. I've never had problems with foot switches. There's too much current to operate the headlamps to properly design a robust stalk control.
Ever heard of a headlight relay?

A lot of OEMs avoided using them before where possible, so why would they start now?
wink.gif

I'd like to see the return of the "bumper jack". Just kidding
grin.gif
I can still remember the first time and the only time I used one. Almost got killed changing a tire on a 67 Pontiac. I won't go into detail because those of you who have used one before know exactly what happens, especially when lifting a tuna boat.

One of the first cars I bought had one on the floor. I bought it when I was 18 and knew bigger all about cars, and for weeks I was driving around tapping the button wondering what it was for. Was'nt until the guy in the car in front pulled over, waved me down, and informed me that if I continue flicking my lights at him, he would adjust one side of my face to the other!
Aside from being scared white, eureka! I now knew what that bloody switch did!
Cheers, Gareth

Last edited:
Around 1950 my father had a pickup truck, pretty sure it was a Chev, with the foot switch for the high beam and the starter switch under the gas pedal. You started it by stomping the gas pedal to the floor.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A lot of OEMs avoided using them before where possible, so why would they start now?
wink.gif

Your comment makes no sense. Headlight relays have been common since the 60s, even bikes have them.

When I replaced the high/low beam lamps on my 72 Pontiac with Marchal e-codes I had to wire in a relay - after burning out a headlight switch. I guess with those really old sealed beam light the current draw wasn't that high. Everything I've seen since the 80's has used a relay.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Your comment makes no sense. Headlight relays have been common since the 60s, even bikes have them.

I think you had better check a few wiring diagrams. I know plenty of vehicles that simply did not use them. They should be used across the board, if you ask me, but they certainly were not.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

I'm sorry, but you're wrong. It was rare to see headlight relays in anything non-german all the way into the 90's. That's why all those Japanese and American headlight switches from the 60s, 70s, and 80s constantly burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back