Narrowing down brake pad choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... wearever platinums are the only reasonably priced thing I can get (even after 40 off 100) at AAP, and I HATE Autozone regardless of their coupons. How are wearever platinums? Seems they produce a ton of dust = short life? That's what previous threads on here suggest, although one said they used to be metallic and they're now ceramic so that should have changed.

Last edited:
Went for wearevers. Cheap, and I can go pick them up right now and have all day today to change them in case I hit any snags.

I have Akebono Proacts's on both cars now. Quiet, very low dust, grab well once bedded. They replaced thermoquiets which wore fast on both cars and Hawks which dusted like crazy.

Tru Blue auto parts through Amazon was cheaper than Pepboys even when they gave me a "pro" cost since I had Fire Department shirt on. That was at least $20 cheaper than their "normal" cost.

Just broke in the wearever platinums

My jack was getting hard to turn so I tried to lubricate it... it really didn't like that and did a total self destruct of the threads for some reason. Drove to harbor freight with only 1 pair of pads on (carefully, mostly highway), came back, got the rest put on, just broke them in and waiting for them to cool.

OK< what do you want?
Less dust? More grab and performance?
Do you have goal to achieve? If you just do not care get OEM. If you want more performance get something like EBC, HAWK. I am not sure whether Euro manufacturers like Textar, ATE, Jurid, (Bosch obviously makes them, but they are just economy pads, nothing more) make pads for Subaru?
If you just want long lasting, quite, less dust pad, get Akebono. Had them once, consider them dangerous for me and other occupants in the car, considering how I drive my car. Took them down after 2K thinking they need to bed in since I could not believe someone would supply pad like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
Went for wearevers. Cheap, and I can go pick them up right now and have all day today to change them in case I hit any snags.

They are a safe choice, plus if they wear out fast they have a lifetime warranty so you get a new set free.

Akebono would be my first pick. I have Thermoquiets on a friend's Forester - and I need to check on them since he's hearing a little noise.

Have used those Wagner TQ's for many years - any vehicle that already has good stopping power - that changes little but are smooth, quiet, minor dust, and last.
My Canyon needed help for pulling my bay boat - so went with EBC Yellow - wow !! what an improvement - but dusty (knew that though) ... Been on a year (15k) and plenty thick (known to wear fast) ...

I have a set of HP+ pads on the RSX. Filthy things they are, but they have a lot of bite. I can't speak for longevity yet.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
ACDelco Advantage quality may be suspect

Good pad for the money....excellent stopping power...wear really well. I will be buying them again in the future. Cost me $25.

Wearever Platinums are the worst pad I ever used. They were good at first, and then started dusting horribly. The brake dust that came off of them was so bad that it would not wash away for any reason at all.

I ended up having to spend a whole day machine polishing the wheels on my Navigator from that garbage.

I think it was SteveSRT8 who also tried a set of them and found they spalled the rotors horribly.

I have been running Hawk LTS pads ever since, and have absolutely no complaints at all.

2 main differences between OEM and the Hawk LTS pads:

1. They have more braking power before the limit. Much more linear than traditional pads. The pedal does not require smashing to get strong braking force.

Linear braking produces less lockup than a pad that is basically a lightswitch near the limits.

2. If you do step on them real hard, or get them real hot, they bite even harder. They perform the exact opposite of brake fade.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Wearever Platinums are the worst pad I ever used. They were good at first, and then started dusting horribly. The brake dust that came off of them was so bad that it would not wash away for any reason at all.

I ended up having to spend a whole day machine polishing the wheels on my Navigator from that garbage.

I think it was SteveSRT8 who also tried a set of them and found they spalled the rotors horribly.

I have been running Hawk LTS pads ever since, and have absolutely no complaints at all.

2 main differences between OEM and the Hawk LTS pads:

1. They have more braking power before the limit. Much more linear than traditional pads. The pedal does not require smashing to get strong braking force.

Linear braking produces less lockup than a pad that is basically a lightswitch near the limits.

2. If you do step on them real hard, or get them real hot, they bite even harder. They perform the exact opposite of brake fade.

Yessir, we used them on two of our 3500 fleet vans. Massive rotor grooves and tons of dust. As far as I'm concerned they are garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back